New to Fripp Island area

It looks like we will be moving to or near Fripp Island. I’m just getting into fishing in the Midwest. What kind of gear would I need to get started down there. I’m thinking marsh area fishing for good eating fish and whatever else I can pull out of the water and put on my table. I’ll also venture into sort fishing a bit later.

Do you have a boat or access to a dock? Do you plan to fish from the beach? Lots of options depending on your approach. I would start with a medium sized Penn open face spinning reel with medium action rod. GRACO hardware has a decent fishing counter that can fix you up with rod/reel as well as winding on braided line. Other good places to start would be Beaufort boat and dock supply as well as West Marine. All those places sell Maps Unique. Those maps high lite general locations for various species. A good starting place would be to hire a local guide for a full or half day charter. They ain’t cheap, but you will learn more in a day with one of those guys than a year on your own.

Keep an eye on inshore fishing on this forum. Lots of good folks with lifetime experience.

Good luck!

1 Like

What Tanksgt said. That’s spot on info about hiring a local guide to get you started and the Maps Unique will put you on good spots. Use this sights search function for old posts with tons of info just waiting to be reread.