New to N. Char - looking for bass

Whats up everyone. My wife and I just moved here from Alabama and I am curious as to where I can take my boat to do some bass fishing. I have a 18ft BassTracker 90hp. The only place I have looked at so far is the GC Reservoir…any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bushy park, lake Moultrie/Marion, these are the major close ones, heard gcr had good bass fishing most are 3 lbs but the lakes are where most of the wall mounts around here come from, the big bass there are 12-15 lb, don’t be afraid of throwing a 8 to 10 inch artificial, my friend used to throw a trolling bait for dolphin and catch 7 plus lb bass routinely. 7.5 is my biggest caught in a ditch/ canal and it was an Ethiopian so it was probably usually like a ten pounder, but I don’t bass fish much. A guy once told me the bass in Moultrie/Marion have different genetics than most bass in S.C. similar to Florida bass and that’s why they are such monsters but everything in those lakes gets bigger than average if you ask me.

17ft Key west

Awesome, thanks for the info! Do I have to worry about tides if I went out of Bushy Park?

Also, is the Ashley River worth trying out?

I don’t think there is much of a tide on the fresh water side of Bushy Park, I only fished foster creek and a little ways passed the big grey water building about a mile from the landing. I was in a canoe and there was a wake boat and boarder that must of had bad vision because they nearly killed me 3 times, so retreated to foster creek and sure enough the came and almost ran me over, so I went in, but in the winter everybody out there crappie fishes. I’ve never really fished the fresh end of the Ashley but you should expect a tidal flow and blue catfish pretty much anywhere on the Ashley and I think it is bigger/faster tide for the most part on the fresh/brackish end of the Ashley. There is also a area just north of Bushy Park called Pamlico I think and is supposed to be good for bass and there’s a tidal area called the rice fields up that way too that is talked about often on here for bass and shell cracker. I just started fishing the area up there so I can’t really give you the best of information but these are some good areas to start with. Be careful because of most of our freshwater areas to fish contain lots of underwater hazards.

17ft Key west

fresh water side of Bushy Park produced two 7+ lb bass for me last year within five minutes of each other. My favorite time is early mornings in the summer but there are lots of bass if you spend time there, especially up past the power lines

quote:
Originally posted by chumchucker

Whats up everyone. My wife and I just moved here from Alabama and I am curious as to where I can take my boat to do some bass fishing. I have a 18ft BassTracker 90hp. The only place I have looked at so far is the GC Reservoir…any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The bass fishing in GCR is better than many tend to think, just takes some time out there to establish a pattern. Also had good bream/crappie fishing.

Santee-Cooper (Moultrie and Marion) offers great bass fishing, but can also be brutally tough at times. If the bass aren’t biting, bream, crappie, and cats are biting. You have to be careful running around if you don’t know the area, there’s only about 15 trillion stumps between the two lakes. Definitely a place to do lots of idling and map study until you’re comfortable.

Cooper River…great bass fishing, but you need to learn to understand tidal fishing to consistently catch them. Safe to run around in most places, just have to look out for rice field breaks. If you want a chance at catching a big (10 lb + bass), this is the place. I’ve caught a a fair number of 8-9 lber’s at Santee and a few over 10, but every one I’ve caught or seen caught over 11 lbs came from the Cooper.

Send me a PM sometime, I’ll ride with you. My boat’s out of commission for a while.