New Yak fisherman

Hey guys, I just recently got a sundolphin journey 12 ss kayak as my first fishing yak. I will be getting a bigger one in the future but decided it would be good as my first one. I will be doing inshore saltwater fishing in the west Ashley/Charleston area and am looking for any beginners tips, spots, gear and other things i should know going into the future. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I’m getting into Yak fishing as well… From my past experience doing it on rivers, find a milk crate and add some pvc pipes to it for rod holders. Way cheaper than buying one of those pre-rigged ones at the store. Get a fold up kayak anchor to help hold positions. There are some cool ideas in Youtube videos about making a pulley line for your anchor to change its location on your kayak too. Tthe tides and wakes will toss you around without an anchor. Fishing the Ashley River is very tough! Try taking it to Bushy Park.
Hope this helps a little, i’ll be learning more along the way as well too.

quote:
Originally posted by mayerjusc08

I’m getting into Yak fishing as well… From my past experience doing it on rivers, find a milk crate and add some pvc pipes to it for rod holders. Way cheaper than buying one of those pre-rigged ones at the store. Get a fold up kayak anchor to help hold positions. There are some cool ideas in Youtube videos about making a pulley line for your anchor to change its location on your kayak too. Tthe tides and wakes will toss you around without an anchor. Fishing the Ashley River is very tough! Try taking it to Bushy Park.
Hope this helps a little, i’ll be learning more along the way as well too.

Thanks thats great help!

Evant T.

My father n law has that exact same one. I would say add a anchor trolly line down one side (see youtube), grapple anchor or drag chain (see youtube on how to set them up), add a two bungee paddle holder on the other side (can buy off Amazon), & buy or make some rods leashes. I think he was not able to add a milk crate because of the way the rear cargo area is made but you could probably add some kind of soft bag or something.
FYI, that removable pull behind thing in the rear cargo area will just get in the way & flip over on you when you get in some current or chop so I would remove it or just leave it in the rear cargo area.

quote:
Originally posted by areeldrag

My father n law has that exact same one. I would say add a anchor trolly line down one side (see youtube), grapple anchor or drag chain (see youtube on how to set them up), add a two bungee paddle holder on the other side (can buy off Amazon), & buy or make some rods leashes. I think he was not able to add a milk crate because of the way the rear cargo area is made but you could probably add some kind of soft bag or something.
FYI, that removable pull behind thing in the rear cargo area will just get in the way & flip over on you when you get in some current or chop so I would remove it or just leave it in the rear cargo area.

Thanks for the tips. I just got rid of the storage thing completey and yes it really sucks the way the rear compartment is shaped

Evant T.

I found this blog recently that has helped with some ideas:
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/?m=1

any reports.will be coming from cola soon.lookin for slams…

Make you a stick-it pole. Really handy to anchor yourself in shallower water. The anchor-trolley is god because you can position your yak in relation to the current, etc… I put a float on my anchor so if I caught something big and wanted to go mobile, do a quick disconnect and then I could go back and retrieve my anchor. Kayak fishing is challenging if you are used to fishing out of a boat because you have to limit what yiu take but, nothing like catching an over-slot red or small shark from a yak.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?