Newbie advice from shore

I am retiring to Charleston area after 40+ years absent from salt water. Probable location is Summervile. I would like to to fish salt water 5-7 daysper week, but really prefer to avoid expense and hassle of boat.

1. Are there experts who can re-educate me about shoreline fishing? I do not at all mind paying for wisdom which can help me avoid hassle and expense of boat.

2. Is there a ‘clearing house’ service where I can get on someone else’s boat if I will contribute to gas/docking/beer expenses?

3. If I hold my nose and get a boat, is a 1998 50K mile 3.4 Liter Toyota Tacoma 5 speed adequate to tow a boat which can be used for ‘inshore’ fishing?

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome. Things to try but not necessarily in this order;
Check out a local sporting goods shop like Harrell?s and ask for advice on where you can fish from shore.
Keep an eye on the fishing match up forum for people looking for riders, also post that you are looking for a ride to fish. Plenty of good guys that will get up with you.
Ask you neighbors with boats if they will help you out.

Lastly you have plenty of truck to launch a small inshore boat.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Plenty of power and towing capacity with the truck you have. Inshore fishing from a boat is really the way to go in my opinion. You can find a reliable boat for a decent price in and around the Summerville / Charleston market. All you really need is a 16-18 ft aluminium boat if all you want to do is inshore fish.

Dear eric…Welcome to the forum and the area. There is a lot of useful information available on this site, and the internet in general. I would recommend doing some fishing with local guides(they require you to contribute money!!) to orient yourself to the “Salt Water” environment in the lowcountry. As far as fishing from land, your best bet is always going to be fishing piers, and there are several good ones in the area. Keep in mind that Summerville is not very close to the ocean and that will require some travel and time to get to it. “Time and Tide waits for no man”. I’d suggest that you buy a boat. It totally enhances the quality of life down here, not to mention it increases your chances of successful fishing by about 1000%. I’d also suggest that you research the various fishing clubs in the area, and choose one to join.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

Look into a kayak. Very little expense and hassle, but a great platform for inshore fishing.

Invest in a hobie kayak. You may not be able to cover as much ground as a boat, but you can fish in areas where boats can’t get too.

Connor Malark

You’ll get fed up fishin from shore pretty quick. As soon as you A. Get sunk up to your a zz in mud, or see fish 5’ out of casting range. Yeah I have land spots to fish and all, but nothing beats having a boat. Kayaks are awesome, and the minimum inshore is a 14’ Jon boat or carolina skiff, you can go anywhere up from there. All platforms allow you to catch infinitely more fish

14’ Skiff-“Redfish Reaper”

quote:
Originally posted by davejask

Look into a kayak. Very little expense and hassle, but a great platform for inshore fishing.

Fantastic advice.

Give me a shout in May when the bite gets hot and I can show you a couple of things to look for.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

If you are fishing that much, you’ll want a small boat sooner rather than later. Since you live in s’ville, you already have a great, economical truck to repeatedly drive the distance, and now could use a small boat. Small boats with minimal electronics, gadgets, and other shizz to break are not that much of a hassle and probably worth looking into. Get a portable battery jumper. S’ville to Wappoo is a long azz haul to show up with a dead battery. Shore fishing right now is pretty tough, hit/mostly miss. Surf/shore will heat up in April.

An inshore boat is simply the most thrilling toy you can have in the low country, along with some nice 20 lb inshore rods and reels. Per the above, lots of info here on CF if you want to search for it using the search tools here.

You said:
Yo

quote:
Originally posted by yakman72

You’ll get fed up fishin from shore pretty quick. As soon as you A. Get sunk up to your a zz in mud, or see fish 5’ out of casting range. Yeah I have land spots to fish and all, but nothing beats having a boat. Kayaks are awesome, and the minimum inshore is a 14’ Jon boat or carolina skiff, you can go anywhere up from there. All platforms allow you to catch infinitely more fish

14’ Skiff-“Redfish Reaper”

Why would I get fed up? Not enough fish? Too many skeeters and gnats? other?

ericpret

You said:

quote:
Originally posted by davejask

Kayaks and canoes scare the snot out of me. I have always been balance-challenged. I only halfway joke that I can fall standing flat-footed in a level field in bright sunlight. To me kayak means two things:

1. Capsize
  2. Not be able to escape the cursed thing and drown.

I love the concept of kayak, but the execution frightens me badly. Kayak in a swimming pool would scare me.
And yes, I CAN swim, but for how long and with what attempting to have me as dinner?

ericpret

There are some extremely stable yaks out now. The Wilderness Systems Ride 135 for one. I (and many others) stand up in theirs. Go talk to Dave at Time Out Sports.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

ericpret,

The Kayak fishing has BLOWN UP in Charleston in the past few years and is a fantastic way to get around some of the creeks. It even provides access to places you can get in a boat with an outboard. If you would like to paddle one or get out and fish in one give me a shout I have two and can gladly show you the ropes of Kayak fishing.

Also as mentioned earlier, Haddrell’s offers many seminars, around one a month at both locations, as do all of the other local tackle shops. Check them out, they are posted in the Newspaper, Coastal Angler, and on here.

I can say I learned ALOT when I first moved to Charleston simply by fishing at the local piers, Mt. Pleasant Pier is a great place to learn. I have caught all of our local inshore species there and still fish there when I don’t feel like fooling around with the boat.

Good luck with your move.

experience noun \ik-#712;spir–#601;n(t)s

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Keep your eye out on Craig’s List. Last fall I picked up a 2008 15ft War Eagle with 25hp Johnson and trailer for $3800. It was like brand new, no scratches even on the prop. I tried fishing from shore for over a year and its not as fun.

2008 War Eagle 15ft
1995 Johnson 25hp