NEWBIE ADVICE

Im a newbie, so be nice. I enjoy fishing, but have never owned a boat. Ive done a few offshore and inshore fishing trips and have sailed in the ocean numerous times. We have been thinking about getting a powered boat for a long time so I could spend time with family, kids, and friends down here at the coast. Instead of golfing for six hours with my kids/friends, why not take them fishing? The folks have a place in Rockville which is where we will keep the boat. It being a buyers market, and after some serious research, we finally bought a 04 Wellcraft 210 CC Fisherman with a 200HP Yamaha. It has an 18 upper draft, 24 lower draft, a hull with a 25 degree deadrise. I felt like this is a good overall boat for what I want to do. Part of having fun on the water is also being safe and well informed. I know how treacherous Charleston, Edisto, and Bohicket can be which is why Im actively taking boating safety classes online and joining Power Squadron. I dont intend to take this boat EVER outside the site of land. Thats what a commercial charter trip is for (outsource that kind of risk to a professional). I have a long way to go to be an educated captain. However, in addition to being educated, I need some direction and want some experienced help when it comes to fishing. Things like: bait, rigging, tackle, equipment, whats running and when, good spots and maybe places to avoid, where I should go fishing for mackerel, snapper, etc. I also want to do some more sport inshore fishing for drum, etc. Any good anglers, buddy boating locales, bait and tackle guys, etc., that dont mind helping me join the club. Thanks in advance.

I’d say your are most definitly on the right track to becoming a educated captain with those questions and attitude. More of a offshore person here so I’d say your best bet is to go into one of the local tackle shops here, Hadrells, Charleston Angler, etc… and talk to some of the fellows in there, they are mostly all very experienced anglers in there and very eager to help out in any way they can. Also a Maps Unique chart is a good starting point as well for different areas. I think a big key inshore is not so much specific spots so much as prefered habitat for the fish and knowing what to look for. Good idea around here as well to allways know what the tide is doing while exploring different areas as there are a lot of sandbars present in the rivers. Good luck and have fun!

Russ B. Formerly known here as “Top2Bottom1”
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

Rodo, you will probably get more ■■■■■■■■ in the Offshore Discussion forum. Tight lines -

Fish to live.

Rodojo, im glad you already know the rockville/bohicket area can be very treacherous if you dont know where your going. What i would suggest doing first is going to a local tackle shop like what they said and getting an idea of baits, habitats and all that. From there i would take the boat out at low tide and explore the area so that if you do get stuck, the tide will be on its way in. I live about 14 miles up bohicket river and fish out there a good bit and it can be very good.

That being said, some of the easiest baits to rig up are carolina rigs and a popping float with a shrimp, mudminnow, or mullet on the end. Those have both been very productive for me. Bohicket marina sells frozen bait as well as live shrimp usually if you cant catch any in a cast net. Rigs like those will catch redfish, trout, flounder and sharks mostly as well as some occasional others.

I would also suggest reading a lot of older post in the inshore reports and discussion sections of CF. Thats where i learned a lot. Welcome to the site, keep us posted, and good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by rodojo

Im a newbie, so be nice. I enjoy fishing, but have never owned a boat. Ive done a few offshore and inshore fishing trips and have sailed in the ocean numerous times. We have been thinking about getting a powered boat for a long time so I could spend time with family, kids, and friends down here at the coast. Instead of golfing for six hours with my kids/friends, why not take them fishing? The folks have a place in Rockville which is where we will keep the boat. It being a buyers market, and after some serious research, we finally bought a 04 Wellcraft 210 CC Fisherman with a 200HP Yamaha. It has an 18 upper draft, 24 lower draft, a hull with a 25 degree deadrise. I felt like this is a good overall boat for what I want to do. Part of having fun on the water is also being safe and well informed. I know how treacherous Charleston, Edisto, and Bohicket can be which is why Im actively taking boating safety classes online and joining Power Squadron. I dont intend to take this boat EVER outside the site of land. Thats what a commercial charter trip is for (outsource that kind of risk to a professional). I have a long way to go to be an educated captain. However, in addition to being educated, I need some direction and want some experienced help when it comes to fishing. Things like: bait, rigging, tackle, equipment, whats running and when, good spots and maybe places to avoid, where I should go fishing for mackerel, snapper, etc. I also want to do some more sport inshore fishing for drum, etc. Any good anglers, buddy boating locales, bait and tackle guys, etc., that dont mind helping me join the club. Thanks in advance.

That’s probably the best “newbie” post I’ve ever read. Sounds like you will do fine to me. Aside from getting internet advice, I think proba

The East Cooper Fishing Club monthly meeting is next Monday, you (and anyone) is welcome to drop it, sit and listen and see if the club is right for you, no obligation join if you just want to visit.

http://www.eastcooperfishingclub.net/

Check out the main page for info, directions, times and what the club has to offer.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 16 year old
1 - 12 year old
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

That’s a good one, too, if that’s close enough for you (sounded like you’d be in Rockville, though.) Nice folks over there at the ECFC. Either club will help you learn what you need to know.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland
Strickland Marine Insurance Agency, Inc.
843-795-1000 / 800-446-1862