newbie advice

What rod /reel combo would be a good starter for reds and trout from a kayak. Ive probably fished fly 10 times for browns, rainbow, bones, snook, small tarpon and permit in mexico and colorado. Im thinking of around $500 all in to give it a shot. I fish inshore primarily out of a kayak which I can easily stand. Maybe an 8 or 9 weight , 9 ft , stainless rig with medium action.Im not that good at casting the fly but willing to learn.Thanks

Tri: If you still have the setup that you used for bones and snook, you should be fine with reds. I use an 8 wt Sage and a 9 wt Thomas &Thomas. The wind determines which rod I will cast. The 9 punches through the wind with more authority. Don’t know much about reels as I haven’t bought one in many years. Mine are decades old, but they still do the job. Check out TFO, they have a great reputation. https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2016-8-weight-shootout-best-saltwater-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■-aetos-orvis-recon-tfo-bvk-tfo-impact-echo-base-beaulah-opal-winston-biii-plus-mystic-reaper

oc

Thanks. Im on kayak in the creeks alot so I went with a shorter 8 weight rod at 7"10 and a super light Redington reel. Nice little setup and easy for me to throw from the Yak.Headed out tomorrow if the weather cooperates!

A Behemoth/Predator combo would get you that Price Range with a nice line, but I would recommend casting a few rods before you make your decision. If you’re not going to cast anything before you purchase a combo I would tell you to save some money and purchase the Redington Path Combo at $189.

Simon O

HADDRELL’S POINT TACKLE & SUPPLY
Your Complete Sportfishing Center
www.haddrellspoint.com
www.facebook.com/Haddrells.Point

have a nice setup in the classified section, Orvis Helios 2 with Orvis IV reel 8WT…

Cannot go wrong with TFO. In my less experience days I broke the tip three times on my 10 wt, 9 ft crashing heavy clouser minnows into tip. TFO replaced them free every time. Coming to John’s island next Tuesday for week. Are reds still in creeks. Would put in at Bowens island or folly. Would bring switchrod if anything is in surf.