No wake zone

Got a ticket yesterday in Murrell’s Inlet for wake zone violation. He wrote that it was in front of Marlin Quay marina I was following another boat in and when he throttled down so did I and I was about 100 yards behind him. We were meeting a large boat coming out so his position made us go right closer than normal to the docks. A lot of boat traffic and a dirty windshield so I didn’t see any No Wake signs. It was two young guys in a small Boston Whaler. Safety inspection went well and didn’t realize he writing a ticket until he gave it to me. A warning would have got the point across since it was the first time I had taken a boat out of MI. Only ticket in over 40 years of boating, fishing and hunting. Guy at the marina said it was unusual for DNR to write tickets there but maybe it was new guys.
Be aware.

Maybe it raise time or they need new boats. Ha…

I think they would pull any new faces there. They pull me over for no reason on my first time launching at Murrell Inlet too. After safety check, they let me go.

I was in a club boat that is docked there so the boat would have been familiar but not me. It has a NC reg # though.

I’d rather fish than eat.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

In God We Trust

I feel for you.

If I’m not mistaken it doesn’t matter how close you were to the docks as the NWZ extends across the whole creek, right?

It ain’t no mystery…this beer’s history!

If I understood the officer right it goes to the far side channel markers.

In God We Trust

I hate NWZs except around a boat landing.These rich ,entitled SOBs that build on and pollute our waterways should not be allowed to control boat traffic.

I recommend that if you have any question about your guilt or innocence that you:

1 delay the bench hearing as long as you can ( you can usually bump the date twice)
2 when your court date approaches request a jury trial. This could push your court date out for a year in some cases.
3 demand complete title 5 discovery

Never admit guilt. Never incriminate yourself

In many cases you will hear from the solicitor with an offer to settle. Always Counter offer

In your written communications with the court & officer, Sign your name with the word Esquire immediately after your signature. You can not impersonate an attorney, but anyone can legally use the term Esq. Let them think what they want.

If everybody would do this, the rookie officers will try to write strong citations that are beyond question.

I called the magistrates office and the clerk said I was allowed 1 continuance and the magistrate only hears DNR cases on the 1st Wednesday of each month. I won’t be back down on the 1st Wednesday of any month this year so I went ahead and paid the ticket. Put it on a credit card so at least I’ll get 1% cash back. Not blaming SCDNR, it was 1 officer’s decision. I hope they keep him in that 13.5’ Boston Whaler the rest of his career.

In God We Trust

Just out of curiosity, what is the fine for a NWZ violation?

quote:
Originally posted by Taz

I called the magistrates office and the clerk said I was allowed 1 continuance and the magistrate only hears DNR cases on the 1st Wednesday of each month. I won’t be back down on the 1st Wednesday of any month this year so I went ahead and paid the ticket. Put it on a credit card so at least I’ll get 1% cash back. Not blaming SCDNR, it was 1 officer’s decision. I hope they keep him in that 13.5’ Boston Whaler the rest of his career.

In God We Trust

If you were above idle speed it is his job to write tickets in a NWZ. They are in place to protect property and safety. Not saying it would not make me have a bad feeling for the officer as well. I had two officers flag me over to a dock on the upper Ashley and warned me about my wake. I was in a 16’ skiff at 900 RPM’s against a current with maybe a 2-3 inch wake, making maybe 3 MPH.

Olde Man Charters
843-478-1538
Oldemancharters@gmail.com
286 Seafox/Twin 300’s

where abouts on the Upper Ashley, near Dolphin Cove?

Min. $105

In God We Trust