Nobody tried this weekend?

Hoping to find a report before going out Sunday. Plan as of now is to slow troll Stretch 25s, skirted ballyhoo (since I still have some) and/or cigs, and clark/drone spoons. Any suggestions? Gonna drop sabiki’s @ the nearshore when bottomfishing to try and get some live bait up top, probably under balloons and seeing how that produces as well…Any additional advice would be greatly apprectiated…I’ve asked dad but he said all he used to do was pulled skirted cigs on a slow troll. No downriggers and won’t have any this weekend either.

I had boat issues Friday night and lost the whole weekend. Heard there were plenty of people out there trying though. Funny you mentioned the Stretch 25. I started trolling one last season and it looks rough from all the teeth marks but I haven’t had one single hookup on it. The Kings keep missing that rear treble hook. Thought about cutting it off and splicing a smaller one on.

Pulled some 25’s a few weeks back with no luck except for one humgry baracuda at the 60. I find it hard to keep a good depth unless you are moving slooooow. But most likly it’s me trying to figure them out. Hope to get out this weekend.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Plan is to start trolling at idle speeds, maybe 3mph…will speed up if no bite up to 5mph…Not expecting much but would be nice to put a few in the boat and top em off with a cooler of BSB.

For all your Life insurance, Medicare, Disability for the Self Employed, Cancer, Dental and Hospital Indemnity needs, call me ASAP for an instant quote on any of these products.

Mike Martinez
803-917-3726

Catch ya some pogies and drop lines in outside the rocks. Pull them slow on the edges of the shipping channel. You will find a king or 2!!

We dragged some Drones and Clarks on Monday. No luck with the Kings but there was a heck of a tideline that a bunch of boats were working about three miles out. Tons of bait. Plenty of Spanish and small blues. No King Charles. Pretty day but gotta get that skunk off the boat.

Don’t just do something. Sit there!

Ill bring cast net but don’t know where to start looking for bait.

For all your Life insurance, Medicare, Disability for the Self Employed, Cancer, Dental and Hospital Indemnity needs, call me ASAP for an instant quote on any of these products.

Mike Martinez
803-917-3726

after you pass Ft. Sumter turn right behind the Cummings Point (Northeast) end of Morris Island…check for hadens there…if no luck go around the point onto the ocean side of Cummings Point and look for them…just swing that point wide, real shallow for a long way out…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by Dirty O

Catch ya some pogies and drop lines in outside the rocks. Pull them slow on the edges of the shipping channel. You will find a king or 2!!

YEP

Trust me on this one, DOWNRIGGERS make a HUGE difference

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI

I have had a lot of success with the stretchs. Usually pull them with a couple of drones around 5-6 knots. Even hooked up with a huge donkey at the 60 last year on one.

Just rigged all rods with double leaders tied to snap swivels for all set ups and easy adjusting. Went ahead and got 2 stretch 25s tied to 60lb wire with about 4-5’ of wire leader. Also the double leader on the line is the same length so got plenty of leader. Hope the crimp job works. I’ve never really been told any special way to do it other than crimp and then I just bent the end of the leader so if there was any slipping it wouldn’t move. I pulled with all the pressure I could and no slipping so if its not right I’ll learn from my own mistake. I’m gonna pull 2 stretch 25’s on outermost lines then further back pull 2 spoons then 1 skirted ballyhoo (since I have 2 unopened packs and don’t plan on trolling deep for a while) WTF back in the middle off the middle t-top launcher. Wish me luck. Gonna make about a 3 or 4 mile pass out and then back from Jetties down the channel buoys. Ill report back tomorrow night or Monday A.M.

Mike Martinez
803-917-3726