NON tuna report- Oregon Inlet

Disclaimer: No tuna were caught or seen. Report below.

Made the first trip of the 2013 season to Oregon Inlet and fished on Wednesday 1/9. We chose Capt.Ned on the SeaBreeze and knew we were taking a chance as the tuna sightings had been few and far between. I felt I had to go because the rest of the month is a nightmare work wise for me. So off I went, 480 miles to the Outer Banks of NC. The forecast was perfect and the weather held true.

The inlet itself has been a topic of discussion. We had very little swell, no wind and an incoming tide and the inlet seemed very passable. On the way in we marked a shallow spot of 6’ just short of the bridge. This was the lowest we saw. So, for now the inlet does not seem to be an issue. The locals talk of there not being any money from the state to dredge and they are quite concerned about it for the long term. I would expect some issues with any wind out of the North or East, but that is normal for there anyway.

On to the fishing, we put out a 2 rod spread as we were pretty much alone out there and had no reports to go on. Ocean was slick and very little current. There were some slicks and flat spots to check out and a few places looked real fishy. Lots of flippers, a few manta rays and quite a few hammerhead and other sharks milling about. Ned covered plenty of ground and we made one early stop on a few marks. Scott got a little bonita on the first drop and we moved on after that.

To break the trolling doldrums we stopped on some tilefish #'s and in 15 minutes the JigSkinz produced our limits. It was easy jigging with NO current at all. No big fish but I’m sure they will eat well. Back on the troll and basically nothing for the rest of the day.

They may show tomorrow or maybe next week, but they weren’t where we were yesterday.

We were ready

Doubled on tiles

[IMG]http:/

Thanks for the report. Looks like a good time. I just heard from a reliable source that a 100 inch blue fin was boated last night out of MHC. Hopefully that is a good sign.

Chad
Cobia 256 Express
Pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500

quote:
Originally posted by cobia256

Thanks for the report. Looks like a good time. I just heard from a reliable source that a 100 inch blue fin was boated last night out of MHC. Hopefully that is a good sign.

Chad
Cobia 256 Express
Pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500

I heard the same.

www.JigSkinz.com

Thanks for the report!

You can’t catch them sitting on the couch! At least your out there trying.

If it got any better I couldn’t stand it.

Thanks for the report. We are still planning ou trip for the middle of Feb. Where do you stay when you go up that way?

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Excitement

Thanks for the report. We are still planning ou trip for the middle of Feb. Where do you stay when you go up that way?

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

The Ramada Inn, about $70 per room.

www.JigSkinz.com

Courtland thanks again. Do you ever pull your own boat up there?

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Excitement

Courtland thanks again. Do you ever pull your own boat up there?

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

I would love to fish off my own boat up there. The water can get pretty big pretty fast though. I’ve been blown out more than once on 60’ ers. Not worth the risk in my mind. Not to mention it would make a long 7 hour trip even longer.

www.JigSkinz.com

What size are those Stella’s in pic 3?

Badazz!!

Thanks,
NN

07 23 Key West Twin 115 Yammys

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

What size are those Stella’s in pic 3?

Badazz!!

Thanks,