November.....Lake Murray....Stripers

My most consistant af is a norman “middle N” (pearl white)from wal-mart…I always troll one,spot to spot.A bucktail jig is the “standard”.I have also done well with a “flex-it” spoon casting to scools and trolling(put a swivel on it or it will twist the crap out of your line)…Hope this helps…good luck.

The more you fish,the better you lie.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

quote:
Originally posted by sharky

that’s what i been trying to tell them.the blues are starting to migrate to around 40ft.i’m goingto try a little of both this weekend.i’ll post results good or bad.

Yo sharky,what do ya know ? How about a little help :wink:

The more you fish,the better you lie.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

ok here is what i know.the fish have moved.they are in the rivers now.i’m sure they are some still in the deeper water.i made it out yesterday morning for while before dropping to cylinders in the old motor(■■■■).everything i marked was in 40ft or shallower.the perch,catfish and stripers are here.the birds have showed up.they are marking the schooling fish feeding.the loons are also here.i have seen a good many boats at blacks bridge in the mornings pulling planer boards,also a few guide boats there to.top water would be the way to go or freelining baits in my oponion.i am not a professional but this is what works for me.hope this helps everyone.whippingpost where are you these gys need some info on the artificals?i’m going boat shopping.any one have anything for around $3000?i want a new one bad but the funds are low at this time or a motor 50-75 hp no older than a 95 model.it doesn’t matter what brand just as long as it is dependable. ran the trolling motor for mile or better in the rain yesterday glad i had good batteries.

WhippingPost is on em’… went out last night and tonight and caught limit both nights. Sizes ranged from 18" to 28". I will try and describe my spread for you. On the right outrigger rod I have a 5" deep diver orange/yellow rapala with a monkey arm stinger, set back 140’. Right side downrigger either has a 5" Storm swim shad set back 20’ and raised and lowered on the down rigger to match the level the fish are holding or a 5-7 bait umbrella rig rigged up with bucktails and shad bodies run back about a 100’. Left outrigger has a 5" Cotton Cordell set back 100’-150’ depending on fish levels. Left downrigger has what I call my Striperpalooza. I got the idea from checking the stomach contants of the striper I have been catching. It is a modified umbrella rig rigged with (1) 5" swim shad, (2) 3" swim shad, (4) 1" swim shad and a ballyhoo skirt with a 3" shad body run on a 18" steel leader for a stinger. I troll between 2 and 4 mph in a “S” motion. Hope this helps the “artificial bait” guys. Sharky, sorry to hear about your engine, I looked for you yesterday morning.

Sea Hunt
220 Triton
“Whipping Post”

WP, when you say at night you fishing after dark these days? Sort of new at this striper game but I thought night fishing was for the heat of the summer?

Up until dark…should have said late afternoon.

Sea Hunt
220 Triton
“Whipping Post”

yea i was off the water by 10:30.i got to work tomorrow and possibly sunday.i plan to go boat shopping monday.your wife invited me to fish with yo today but had to work.i think in the morning should be great fishing with it being cold wish i could go.congrats on the fish.are you catching them out from your place?on a good note the catfish are starting to move into the catfish hole as i call it.i will be on the water next weekend.i’m suppose to head to the coast but i don’t think i’ll make it.are you still going?

Yeah, we are catching them in front of our house. The gulls have been around everyday since Wednesday. Strange, last year they weren’t here like this until the end of December. Hope that means my “area” is going to run dry. Im still on schedule for this weekend but that could change of course.

Sea Hunt
220 Triton
“Whipping Post”

ok-----what part of the lake/river is “in front of your house”??? Sharky may know…but the rest of us NEED to know…

Question: what do you mean by :area is going to run dry???

I would like to fish during the week next week…but have no idea where to go…HELP…HELP…

Carl, if I were going, I would head up 378 past Koon landing and put in at the next access point. Some call it #3.

There’s a new place opened up called Spinners. http://www.spinnersresort.com/Directions/tabid/58/Default.aspx

launch here is $3 and herring is $6/doz

i can’t recommend anything about it other than the location.

WP, Thanks for the clarification. Only question I have is what depth water are you trolling over? Those baits run down what about 15’, except for the downrigger of course.

Carl, what I meant to say is that I hope my area DOESN’T run dry (since the fish are here earlierI am fishing near fishing area 44. Phisinphan has the right idea, put in at Spinners then when you come out of the cove turn either right or left both have produced fish for me this past week. There isn’t an exact place, you just have to troll around until you find a school then work back and forth through it. Palmettores, the lures I run go between 20’-25’ depending on how far back I run them and I am in about 30’-60’ of water. Hope this helps guys. I went out this morning, same area and caught 6, 3 keepers.

Sea Hunt
220 Triton
“Whipping Post”

thanks guys for the info…I will have to get out and try my luck next week…Whippingpost…when you say “area 44” …how/where do you determine this from…a map???

If anyone wants to go next week…let me know…we can use my boat or I will go with you…doesn’t matter…

My Lowrance has a fishing program loaded on the hard drive called Navionics Fishing Hot Spots HotMaps and this notes specific spots on the lake and gives you info on what can be caught there during certain times of the year and which bait to use. I think there is a paper map that has the same or similar info.

Sea Hunt
220 Triton
“Whipping Post”

man, i sure hope some of you guys got to fish today - perfect striper weather! if you went, please report. we’re doin’ the family get-together today.

Went out this morning, same place-same thing and caught these three keepers. I don’t know why, but I can not catch more than three keepers at a time. But I’ll take what I can get, just happy to put some in the boat. There were a lot of gulls but no surface activity. We were casting into the gulls and pulling out 16" fish…fun morning.

Sea Hunt
220 Triton
“Whipping Post”

Nice morning catching fish…I would settle for three at the time…

I’ll be up there next week looking for some of those fish…