November.....Lake Murray....Stripers

ok guys…it’s November…lets start posting about the schooling stripers in Lake Murray…it’s that time of the year…

Some fish are being caught—but still on BB herring on down rods…

I saw a small school yesterday…but did not stay up long enuff to catch any fish…marked a lot of fish in different spots – all on or close to the bottom in 50’ water… Nothing would bite…

Everyone was talking about November/December to be fun months for catching stripers…when will it begin??

carl they are calling for a good frost this week.this weekend should should start the bite real steady.just be patient it will happen.

i hear ya carl, i’m anxious too!

I am soooo ready to catch some fish…so, lets hope this weekend will be the kick-off…I have my boat ready…

Sharky…when they start…what do you usually fish with…Plugs–lures, etc…

phishinphan…u have my phone number…let me know if you find them…

Trolled around the gap for about an hour this evening and didn’t really mark anything, found a couple of good humps though to keep an eye on.

Sea Hunt
220 Triton
“Whipping Post”

carl i mostly pull baits,planer boards,freeline and down rods.i will have 2 rods rigged with a buck tail and a top water.i can’t fish this weekend.i got to fish a leaky toilet in charleston and catch a few trout and reds.i will be there next weekend.

I think the best fishing is from March to July. I have only been fishing Murray for two years, so maybe I just need to learn the winter paterns. But I put a tracking device on sharky’s boat so maybe I can find them this year. I just hope I picked the right boat.

I was out Saturday two weeks ago, marked quite a bit on bottom. The fog was way too thick so spotting schooling activity was a bust. Fog stayed until 10:30, conditions seemed great but not much doing.

20’ Maritime Skiff
“Reel-Fly”

I have been finding a lot of fish on the surface first thing in the morning, right out over the main channel. By 8:00, it’s over.

Went out this morning. On the water at first light. Plenty of fish on the depth finder but, for the first time in about 2 weeks, didn’t find any on the surface. It was windy and a little rough so I just might not have seen them. And I didn’t stay out long. This time of year I usually just go out in the mornings and look for schooling activity. I don’t even take live bait with me. Throwing artificials to schooling fish is just too much fun… I do plan to get down riggers soon though…

are you fishing the big pool/east end?

a lot of talk about the smaller fish moving up pass the gap…but no keepers…it seems the larger fish are still in big pool and the gap…

everyone still using live bait with downrods about 20’–40’…

a lot of free lines and planer boards…

quote:
Originally posted by SanteeCarl

a lot of talk about the smaller fish moving up pass the gap…but no keepers…it seems the larger fish are still in big pool and the gap…

everyone still using live bait with downrods about 20’–40’…

a lot of free lines and planer boards…

here’s a sunday night football john madden-esque gem of knowledge for ya…

either the big boys have already moved up the lake and secured their winter territory leading the way of the babies…

or…

the big fish are still in the big pool…

i think, but clearly don’t know, that the big boys are already there. just seems likely to me that the older mature fish would be among the first to make the migration, then the babies would follow along. or is it more of a random progression?

anybody know about other species of migratory fish? what about salmon? is there any rhyme or reason to their movements?

Carl, to answer your question, the last time i went, the down line 20-40 got the hits, the free line got nothing, a couple nibbles, but no strikes.

I don’t know about striper. But with steelhead the smaller (jacks) are the first ones in the streams. But I know when we were down in the big pool a month or so ago, there was not many fish at all. the two we caught were small. I hope to figure it all out soon.

I have been fishing around Spence and Bomb Islands right out over the main channel. A lot of fish on the depth finder this morning but only caught a couple on the surface.

It’s transition time. They are still in the big pool!! In another week or two it will be on in the shallows, trust me. I never even start until after thanksgiving.

that’s what i been trying to tell them.the blues are starting to migrate to around 40ft.i’m goingto try a little of both this weekend.i’ll post results good or bad.

I beleive you, but if I get the chance to go fishing I am going. even if they are not hitting, I just like getting out. When the babies grow enough to start getting out more I hope to get some surf fishing in. Once I get them fishing I will be out all the time. “Sorry honey, I don’t want to go but the kids want to”

I Just moved here couple of weeks ago and im dying to catch a striper or two. I really want to focus on artificial lures b/c i have a small boat and no room for a bait tank. What are some of the best lures and rigs to use this time of year? Thanks for the help.

quote:
Originally posted by cit_angler06

I Just moved here couple of weeks ago and im dying to catch a striper or two. I really want to focus on artificial lures b/c i have a small boat and no room for a bait tank. What are some of the best lures and rigs to use this time of year? Thanks for the help.

cit… i’m a live bait guy personally. lots of guys troll with umbrella rigs and big deep diving crank/trolling lures like stretch 25’s

i’ve seen shows on tv with the guy using 6" flukes on weighted 3/0 hooks, but i’ve not tried that.

top water… try poppers and zara spooks.