Numbered Dolphin

Had a dolphin with a number branded on his dorsal fin, come onto a flat we were fishing off the Wando this weekend. The number was 8F8.

Anyone know what study this is for?

Racing dolphin.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

If it was 8E8 I’d say it was one of those Earnhardts. I googled it and came up with this

http://teacher.scholastic.com/dolphin/week4.htm I don’t think it has anything to do with the number you mentioned though.

The dolphin is almost certainly the property of the US Navy. They use trained dolphin in conjunction with submarine warfare, mine detection, harbor security and many other things. It’s amazing what they can do!

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/navydolphins/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Marine_Mammal_Program

http://www.public.navy.mil/spawar/Pacific/71500/Pages/default.aspx

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

“8F8”

hahaha

8 “for” 8 on clearing the bait of someone bait shrimping :slight_smile:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

quote:
Originally posted by Lowcountryboy

Had a dolphin with a number branded on his dorsal fin, come onto a flat we were fishing off the Wando this weekend. The number was 8F8.

I use to report "branded" dolphin but, most of the dolphin brands have gone away. It was a temporary method of marking dolphins that were being studied.

I’ll send your information along to the guy I use to report dolphin numbers to and let you know what he says. It has been YEARS since I have seen a “branded” dolphin. The numbering system does sound (kind of) right, though.

Crap! Here is the message I got back.

“Due to the federal government furlough, I will be unable to respond to any messages.”

No matter. I’ll get the answer for you. Looks like it won’t be this week. But, he was usually out of communication for weeks/months at a time (for different reasons) anyway.

Fish and Wildlife tagged a bunch this summer in South Edisto, N. Edisto and the harbor with NOAA and took blood samples. May have branded too idk.

strip…strip…FISH ON!

quote:
Originally posted by BiggerthanYours

Crap! Here is the message I got back.

“Due to the federal government furlough, I will be unable to respond to any messages.”

No matter. I’ll get the answer for you. Looks like it won’t be this week. But, he was usually out of communication for weeks/months at a time (for different reasons) anyway.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

quote:
Originally posted by Lowcountryboy

Found out that this dolphin 8F8 has been captured at least two times and has been sighted (and reported) almost 90 times. Send me a PM or post the information here about where you saw him. Then I'll put together a summary of all the information I've found about this dolphin.

For you and anyone interested, the various organizations like to gather as much specific information from the sightings. Like, what numbers or tags are visible, where sighted, date and time of day, any visible injury to dolphin, any other dolphins in the group or in the area, etc.

8F8 was spotted today in Molasses Creek at 2pm off of the Scanlonville community dock. This being 8/10/2014. It was one hour from -.98 ft low and he was swimming the creek and feeding. We witnessed him roll on his side a couple of times for shrimp or bait fish. Creek is 4 feet deep in the area we saw him and he was continuing up the creek and into shallower water as the tide was going out. Based on previous comments, he likes shallow water and recognizes the hunting benefit.

We spotted 3F3 (8F8!) yesterday way back in Shem Creek about 2 hours after a 6’ high tide, around 4:30 pm. We were kayaking back there and were just wondering whether dolphins ever swam that far back into the creek, and not five minutes later we ran into 3F3. Spent a good 10-15 minutes following him out with the tide, as he swam along the shore feeding. Saw him on his side several times trying to get a better angle. Eventually he stayed back in a large curve in the creek while we kept going. So stoked to find this site with some documentation about him and his locations, though I’m still not totally sure as to the meaning behind him being tagged? In any case, super awesome to have seen him and then to have found others here who’ve seen him elsewhere.