Nutria

Has anyone seen any of those critters anywhere in the state?

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Man I hope not. They have just about overrun Louisiana.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Yeah they are all over Mississippi and Alabama also. I grew up on Mobile Bay and we had a place on one of the rivers. I saw a show on tv where the DNR was trapping them and then putting them in a pen with some wolves to teach them how to hunt for food. I called the DNR and was told they were trapping somewhere around Clemson. Last year I found something that said they are around Savannah and also in the Pee Dee river area.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Them things any good to eat! They get like 30/40 pounds don’t they:question:

They’re OK to eat, like Muskrat, “musky” and if the glands are removed properly, then they’re good.

Unlike Muskrats, which feed on the vegetation, Nutria tear up the vegetation when feeding, including the roots, leaving large areas devoid of grasses & such that keep the soils from eroding away. They do a lot of damage to marshes.

Muskrats can be destructive, but Nutria are 100 times worse.

There was a lot of them in parts on MD, especially in the area of Dorchester Co. & the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. The state & feds spent a lot of money trying to eradicate them there.

They reduced the numbers, but they’re still there.

I heard they were imported into La.from overseas somewhere to help keep canals cleared of vegetation , didn’t realize what a FU until
it was too late , understand they multiply faster than rats and have no real natural enemy…

George McDonald ; MAD Charleston
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Growing up on the bay we were raised up eating all kinds of stuff. We mostly had them fried. Grandmother would put a cap of vinegar in some water and swish the meat around in it for a few seconds then flour and fry.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

They’re originally from South America, where they call them Coypu and they were brought to the US for their fur during a time when there was a high demand. It was thought that they could be ranched. However, that didn’t work out & many escaped into the wild. They may have also been introduced to control vegetation, but if so, yes it was a big mistake!

Over the years as I fished in many of the rivers & creeks on the eastern shore of MD where they inhabited, I occasionally would see one. They’re also more active at night so don’t get seen a lot. I had also done a lot of fur trapping at one time & had read a lot about them. Never caught one however.

quote:
Originally posted by carolinacoot

Has anyone seen any of those critters anywhere in the state?

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Negative… Have you? Or you just checking? Andrew Zimmerman had a show on eating the buggers.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Fred I haven’t seen any here but have eaten my fair share of them. Used to eat them fried and smothered in brown gravy over rice. Will have to make a call to dnr and see what they have to say. Seems like I remember someone on here saying they saw something in one of the creeks off the Wando that may have looked similar. Have to go back and search.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson