Offshore help

I recently purchased a Sea Hunt Triton 202 with a 150 Yamaha. I am looking for someone to partner up with for some nearshore trips in good conditions. Newer to the Charleston area. I have about 6 years of experience inshore fishing SW FL, but other than a few trips out to the humps from Marathon Key, my knowledge is limited. Currently in the process of replacing the VHF, and upgrading a few instruments before I head out. I live on James Island and will likely only be available weekends unless its a trip planned ahead. Would like to have some experience before I head out with the wife and kids. email me up if you need an extra on your boat or want to partner up. Thanks.

05 Sea Hunt Triton 202

12’ Perception Striker

JW

Jim here. I am about in the same boat (no pun intended!) but mine is only 18 with a 115.

PM sent!

Keeping my eyes and ears open…and trying to learn.

Get trim tabs on that boat and ideally spray curtains before you head offshore in that boat here.

I am looking for 1’ seas or less and 65 degree weather!

Keeping my eyes and ears open…and trying to learn.

quote:
Originally posted by FishnBarrels

Get trim tabs on that boat and ideally spray curtains before you head offshore in that boat here.

hahaha. Bad memories Charles? It wasn’t pretty but that boat got the job done (somewhat). I think I pushed the limits a bit and certainly got caught with my pants down a few times. As recommended to the OP, be prepared on a typical day where the SW comes up strong in the afternoon to get soaked on the way home. Otherwise, capable boat with the appropriate safety gear.

quote:
Originally posted by JWHITE

I recently purchased a Sea Hunt Triton 202 with a 150 Yamaha. I am looking for someone to partner up with for some nearshore trips in good conditions. Newer to the Charleston area. I have about 6 years of experience inshore fishing SW FL, but other than a few trips out to the humps from Marathon Key, my knowledge is limited. Currently in the process of replacing the VHF, and upgrading a few instruments before I head out. I live on James Island and will likely only be available weekends unless its a trip planned ahead. Would like to have some experience before I head out with the wife and kids. email me up if you need an extra on your boat or want to partner up. Thanks.

05 Sea Hunt Triton 202

12’ Perception Striker

Had the same boat! 2006 with a yellow hull. Loved the little boat and was very capable and easy to trailer. Tabs made all the difference when it came down to chop and crappy seas

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition” -Howell Forgy

Thanks for the tips. I’ve started looking into trim tabs. I noticed that may be a higher priority after operating in a heavy chop.

05 Sea Hunt Triton 202

12’ Perception Striker

JWhite, hit up Loopervet on here if you want some trim tabs. He’s a great guy and loaded with knowledge when it comes to boats and fishing.

Thanks. Looking at the Bennett M-120 tabs. Install seems pretty straight forward. Not excited about drilling holes in the hull. Is what it is though. I’ve watched the install video and lined things up on the boat. Should be alright.

05 Sea Hunt Triton 202

12’ Perception Striker

Trim tabs will help you a lot.

Olde Man Charters

JW- Sounds like you have the right mindset. Watch the wave height and interval and the wind. NE winds can make conditions pretty nasty.

I’d be happy to run out with you one Saturday, but I’m probably not putting in for at least another month or so.

Keep me posted.

Pick your days and you’ll have a blast. Plenty of nearshore spots to bounce off of that the wife and kids would love and your boat will be capable of getting to.

Unfortunately around here, you can’t limit your trips to the weekends. Those 1’ x 10 sec days are far and few between and sometimes means you have to drop everything and go when that flat day is calling:sunglasses:

Saerboy
www.oceansinternational.us
“A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats”</font id=“blue”></font id=“size3”>