Oh Skinne one.....

What say you about the value of CVX right now? Time to buy or hold out for a few more weeks?

Or is there another energy you’d be investing in right now?

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

I am pretty heavy in oil (actually before the decline). It’s pulling down the old portfolio right now, but I am holding onto it and collecting a dividend while I wait. For the reason that I am so heavy in oil right now I am personally not buying any shares, but if I see a “bottom” in oil, I may consider temporarily buying up some more, and then riding the wave back up and diversifying a bit more…

To answer your question, CVX probably isn’t a bad investment. If you bought it at these prices, you would get a 4.11% dividend right out of the gates. I would take that over “cash” any day. That being said, it seems that oil could still be falling… I think it got all the way down into the 40’s back in the last crash, and from what I have seen, the charts still seem to be pointing down. So, if you don’t own ANY oil stocks, I would probably consider buying a few shares, but not jump in with both feet. I think there will be more opportunity to buy these stocks even lower…

Also, just remember your goals… If you are looking for a stock to “double” in 2015, these huge oil companies aren’t going to do that at these prices. But, if you feel that a major market correction is coming and you want to park some funds somewhere to ride out the storm and collect a decent dividend while that happens, then oils stocks are probably a fairly safe bet. Beware, dividends can get cut though if the company starts to struggle.

Here are things I like about oil stocks:

1. Large cap companies are usually “safer” investments.
  2. These companies are pretty visible (i.e. you can walk into a BP gas station and get a feel for the experience as a “product”).
  3. When oil and gas prices are high, my 401K makes money… When it comes tumbling, down, that’s okay, because I am paying less at the pump!!! So, either way I feel good about something. It’s almost a hedge in my mind against fluctuating oil prices.

That being said, most of these big oil companies generally under-perform compared to the S&P 500 over the long term

I wish you guys would speak Engrish.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Energy companies are cheaper now than they have been recently making me think about buying some stock.

I bought some HES this morning, but its a small investment. We’ll see how it goes. Its all a learning process for me at this point.

Bought at 64.14…beginner’s luck I guess.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=hes&type=2button&fr=uh3_finance_web&uhb=uhb2

Buy VXX and sell around 34, then buy SPY and sell around 210. Repeat, repeat, as long as the pattern holds.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

I’ve been in APPL big for the last few months…working well right now.

LINE

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I’ve been in APPL big for the last few months…working well right now.

Drinks on me?

:smiley: