Old boat pricing help - 14' Falcon

quote:
Originally posted by friogatto

Ok, I’ll try another one liner. From the FAQ section for the SCDNR website. Notice there is no exemption for Private Waterways.

1. What type of boat or outboard motor does not have to be registered/titled?

All watercraft are required to be registered and titled: except Documented Vessels, Wind surfers, Watercraft propelled only by human power with oars, paddles or similar devices. All outboard motors under five (5) horsepower are not required to be titled.

So, when you file your registration it asks for the type of propulsion, one option is Electric Motor/Trolling Motor.

I understand there may be other exceptions listed elsewhere in the SC boating laws but I’m not going to find them as I have listed 2 direct quotes from the SCDNR. While you may have your brother-in-laws word, a potential buyer does not. They have the SCDNR website.

My intention was to explain to you, the person who asked us to “shoot me straight”, that a buyer does not want to deal with the process of initially registering an old boat. It is more entailed, may require multiple trips to the SCDNR, may require back taxes or some form of waiver/reason for not registering/paying taxes all those years, etc…

You are trying to sell a boat with a trolling motor and trying to get top dollar for it, make the process for the buyer as easy as possible.
So I will state again shooting you straight.

If you want top dollar, make it available to the most buyers by doing the paperwork and paying the taxes.
If you want to sell it as an unregistered human powered canoe then be happy with what you can get for it.

Thanks for your input.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Trailer $300-400
Trolling motor $100
Titled boat $500-600

Non titled $300

Thats a hard sell. trailer will move quick. boat not so much. not the type people are looking for

Tall Sail Marine