Old boat pricing help - 14' Falcon

I have an old boat that I’m looking to sell, but need some honest help with pricing it, figured you guys would shoot me straight…

I have an old Falcon boatworks 14’ 2-man boat. I do not recall the year, but it’s in great shape and I need to move on from it.

It has two swivel seats on pedastals with storage underneath, and one center padded seat with storage as well. Boat has a new AM/FM/CD/AUX radio and two 6.5" speakers that are installed in the center storage area. I reinforced the floor sections where driver and passenger would stand to fish with fiberglass matting, and it has been painted in a color called Crocodile. The paint was a standard top-side paint of a brand I cannot recall.

Comes with new (year old) Minn-Kota stern mount 45lb thrust trolling motor and new (year old) battery.

Boat is now on a new (2012) Load-Rite trailer and pulls down the road effortlessly of course.

It does exceptionally well as a pond boat, and handles two people and gear VERY WELL. It is surprisingly stable, and will throw a wake with a 45 lb thrust trolling motor. Boat is also light enough to be carried by two people while loaded…

I need help on a price. The trailer is worth $400 or so, and the trolling motor and battery are worth another $150 or $200, but I’m stuck on pricing the boat. There is no information out there on them that I can find, and nothing comparable.

I welcome and appreciate any thoughts or input, thanks.

$600-$800? …if not rotten.

So the boat is worth $250-300?

Not a chance in hell I’d sell it for that, lol.

I really believe this is $1200 worth of boat/motor/battery/trailer…am I wrong?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

As long as the transom and other coring is not rotted, I’d think 1,200 would be a fair price.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

The sides are foam covered fiberglass, not sure what’s in the bottom, but it’s solid! As is the transom.

Larry you ever seen one of these before?

Wadmalaw native

I’ve seen a few of them, think they were built in Tifton, GA for a while, went out of business in the early 2000s. Somewhat a Gheenoe knock off.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Looks like a similar boat was listed here: http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=279527038

Listed in VA July 2014 for $1250 with Titles.

If you have Titles, registration, and taxes are up to date then I think that price sounds good.
If not, I wouldn’t expect more than the cost of the trailer and trolling motor. It’s so time consuming to re-title most would walk away from it.

This one has never been registered…it’s a pond boat. It has been on private property since it was new.

And I just titled another boat. Wasn’t terribly difficult. Took two trips to the fort, but it was worth it.

Wadmalaw native

With no title, I’m with Empty Pockets, in the hundreds range. Get it titled first, then $1k seems reasonable.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

Never said I didn’t have a title…

Wadmalaw native

I read your previous post to infer that it doesn’t have a title… just giving an opinion like you asked for.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

I think what were saying is if you want top dollar it needs to be titled, registered, and taxes paid.

From the SCDNR website:
Registration
“Watercraft propelled by any mechanized means must be registered in addition to being titled in the owner’s name.”

SC does not see private pond use as a reason to not register that boat. If there is mechanical means of propulsion it must be registered and taxes paid. Right now the way the boat sits with that trolling motor it is illegal and you may owe back taxes because of it. No buyer wants to deal with this.

So the answer you are looking for is get it correctly documented so the buyer is at ease and the seller gets top dollar.
Everybody wins.

Take the trolling motor off, put 2 oarlocks on. Sell the TM and battery as a separate transaction. Let the new owner register it. Especially if its never been registered and you have clear title

quote:
Originally posted by friogatto

I think what were saying is if you want top dollar it needs to be titled, registered, and taxes paid.

From the SCDNR website:
Registration
“Watercraft propelled by any mechanized means must be registered in addition to being titled in the owner’s name.”

SC does not see private pond use as a reason to not register that boat. If there is mechanical means of propulsion it must be registered and taxes paid. Right now the way the boat sits with that trolling motor it is illegal and you may owe back taxes because of it. No buyer wants to deal with this.

So the answer you are looking for is get it correctly documented so the buyer is at ease and the seller gets top dollar.
Everybody wins.

Well, certainly you must know that the laws on the subject are much more than a one liner on the DNR website, no?

Boating laws DO NOT apply in private waters (pond on private property). Boating laws only apply on STATE waterways…

And before anyone asks, YES I have verified this. Source is my DNR law enforcement brother-in-law, whom I checked with today just as I did when I purchased the boat and put the motor on it…

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

Take the trolling motor off, put 2 oarlocks on. Sell the TM and battery as a separate transaction. Let the new owner register it. Especially if its never been registered and you have clear title

It’s quite simple. New owner buys titled boat. I he wants to register it to put a motor on it and navigate STATE waterways, then he can do so. But if he just wants it as I did, to play around in the ponds on hunting clubs and other private property, then he’s free to do so as he pleases, with an oar for power or a flux capacitor…

Wadmalaw native

I’d be wary of those flux capacitors. When you rite the bill of sale don’t include the TM or batt. But if you want to be 100% legal, just sell the boat and trailer for whatever you were going to sell the package for and just give him the TM and battery. This makes everything for both sides legal in the event he wants to register it and put title in his name after you sign it over

quote:

I’d be wary of those flux capacitors. When you rite the bill of sale don’t include the TM or batt. But if you want to be 100% legal, just sell the boat and trailer for whatever you were going to sell the package for and just give him the TM and battery. This makes everything for both sides legal in the event he wants to register it and put title in his name after you sign it over

100% legal? I can sell whoever I want the boat. Nothing about a TM or a battery goes on a bill of sale for a boat, that just doesn’t make any sense…

And what buyer chooses to do with boat/TM/battery when he owns it is on him, has nothing to do with me.

Wadmalaw native

Sorry.
My Bad.
You’re right.

quote:

Sorry.
My Bad.
You’re right.

Can’t tell if sarcastic, facetious, or serious…

Wadmalaw native

Ok, I’ll try another one liner. From the FAQ section for the SCDNR website. Notice there is no exemption for Private Waterways.

1. What type of boat or outboard motor does not have to be registered/titled?

All watercraft are required to be registered and titled: except Documented Vessels, Wind surfers, Watercraft propelled only by human power with oars, paddles or similar devices. All outboard motors under five (5) horsepower are not required to be titled.

So, when you file your registration it asks for the type of propulsion, one option is Electric Motor/Trolling Motor.

I understand there may be other exceptions listed elsewhere in the SC boating laws but I’m not going to find them as I have listed 2 direct quotes from the SCDNR. While you may have your brother-in-laws word, a potential buyer does not. They have the SCDNR website.

My intention was to explain to you, the person who asked us to “shoot me straight”, that a buyer does not want to deal with the process of initially registering an old boat. It is more entailed, may require multiple trips to the SCDNR, may require back taxes or some form of waiver/reason for not registering/paying taxes all those years, etc…

You are trying to sell a boat with a trolling motor and trying to get top dollar for it, make the process for the buyer as easy as possible.
So I will state again shooting you straight.

If you want top dollar, make it available to the most buyers by doing the paperwork and paying the taxes.
If you want to sell it as an unregistered human powered canoe then be happy with what you can get for it.