Old firearms...

I have a Winchester model 1903 22 automatic rifle. I only shoot it when relatives visit and ask to see it. Lot of family history around that gun (has a spot on the stock where it deflected a bullet). Ammo is hard to find and is about a buck a round so I don’t let them enjoy it to much!

ZX

I found 32 ammo online ranging between .44 and .99 a round. Still going to get it checked out first before I shoot it.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Here is a frame grab of my .38 special in action. Check the muzzle flash and the hammer still back. I guess the video scans from the bottom up…

and the next frame…

quote:
Originally posted by El A Minnow

Here is a frame grab of my .38 special in action. Check the muzzle flash and the hammer still back. I guess the video scans from the bottom up…

and the next frame…

Did you post this somewhere else? I think I saw this on another forum when searching for info.

Interesting screen captures.

I’ve got my grandfather’s old Colt Police Positive; circa 1920, I guess. I’ve shot it a few times, but the timing is bad off.

I’ve also got a Nazi/USA proofmarked Luger that I’ve shot a few times. From what I understand, it’s worth several thousand dollars.

That’s really about it. I’m much more into modern firearms.

'14 Key West 203FS w/ Yamaha F150
‘99 145 Sportfish w/ Johnson 40
"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I’m goin’ out to sea." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)

I had a Webley Mk IV .38 (proofed 1943). Loved the gun but the cylinder wear left a lot of bite on the hands and misfire. Revolvers take a good bit of abuse and you have a hand eject (which can handle greater pressure) vs. the top break model, but have the forcing cone and cylinder gap/travel checked by a gunsmith.

“Negative. I’m a meat popsicle!”
www.atlanticredcrab.com

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by El A Minnow

and the next frame…

Did you post this somewhere else? I think I saw this on another forum when searching for info.

Interesting screen captures.

I posted it it the S&W forum I seconded you check out. The link to the muzzle flash pics is in my above post. You must’ve clicked that link or stumbled on it.

Since this post, I’ve inherited a few more guns from the other side of the family. My grandfather rom my mother’s side passed away 20 something years ago and now his oldest son, who had no children and is in his late 60s, has graciously handed these down to me. My grandfather was a USMC WWII veteran and truly one of those great men that you read stories about. He was a huge reason that my Uncle became a career marine and stayed in for 35 years. After the war, my grandfather frequently traded and bought different firearms at gun shows and auctions around the state. In the 1950s, he acquired quite a collection apparently. Passed down to me was his Colt 1911 (1943 manufacture from the serial number), a Colt 22LR conversion kit still in the box(apparently this is a little rare), a Ruger 22LR six shot revolver, a Ruger 30 six shot revolver that has only been fired once to this day still in the original box, and finally his famed Smith & Wesson 45 six shot revolver.

After the war, my grandfather owned a gas station for a while in Winsor SC. This was in the 1950s. When he’d work late (he had to feed those 6 children, my mother being the baby), he’d carry that 45 in his waist band just in case any trouble arose.

Holding this gun now gives me chills almost. There is so much family history surrounding this thing. My uncle only had one provision to handing these down to me. I must take care of them and keep them in the family no matter what. They aren’t to be sold, but passed down so that the next generation of Parkers can enjoy them. He kept them for thirty years and now its my turn. I’m looking forward to the responsibility.

I’ll post some pictures soon. I think I’ll probably shoot the 1911 and the 45 this weekend, clean, and then put up for a special occasion or when family comes to visit.

Oh, and I’ve shot that S&W 32; it shoots ok, but not perfect. The bullet tumbles coming out of the gun; when you look at the paper target, you can tell they aren’t hitting it straight on. So, even though its functional, I’m retiring this one. Its going on the wall somewhere to be admired and, when people ask, have a great story told about it.

Thats Awesome!!

If you don’t already have one, I’d get a good fireproof safe.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Recently handed down…those are original pearl grips from the 1940s

The colt 1911, manufactured 1943

Colt 1911 conversion kit to .22

S&W .45, model 1917. This was manufactured in 1918 and is still nice and tight.

Bottom of .45. Serial number 84,000

Under the barrel of the .45

Larry, I think that they XXX out the last numbers, because they don’t want to inadvertently give the government a free registration! When they come for your guns, they know you at least had one once!

Very nice handguns :sunglasses:

quote:
Larry, I think that they XXX out the last numbers, because they don't want to inadvertently give the government a free registration! When they come for your guns, they know you at least had one once!

Hmmm…if we ever reach that point, we’ve already lost.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Not if they don’t know you have or had it! Lots of woods and places to hide stuff, around here! They will have to hit everyone at once or word will get out! Things disappear all the time!:imp: