Old firearms...

How do you care for them? What is the oldest firearm you routinely shoot?

I have a S&W 1903 32 caliber that I believe dates to around 1910ish due to the little information I can find online about the serial number. It was my father’s and his father’s. Beyond that I’m not sure where it came from. It appears in great shape for the age and I’d like to preserve it and shoot it if possible.

Can I take it somewhere locally for inspection or should I just forget about shooting this thing? Everything is tight on the gun, it just really needs a good cleaning.

Thoughts?

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

A little more info…

.32 Hand Ejector Second Model (Model of 1903 - 5th Change)
.32 S&W Long ca., 6 shot fluted cylinder, rubber grips, 3 1/2, 4 1/4, or 6 in. barrel, blue or nickel. Serial range 102501-to approx 263000. Approx. 160,499 mfg. 1910-1917.

Gun that old might not handle modern powder loads and pressure. I would ask someone with more knowledge. At the very least, if you are going to fire it, I would put it in a vice of some sort and fire it from a distance! Or, download a round and try it.

Try Carolina Rod and Gun,one of there gunsmiths should be able to tell you more about the gun.

Double D.

I’ve got one and have researched extensively.You can shoot it safely as long as it is a solid example.The 32 S&W long is loaded to low pressure black powder standards.There literally are no guns today built to fire that cartridge,there fore there are no “hot” loads available retail.It has zero recoil and is crazy accurate, but not a defensive round.Ammo is hard to find and expensive.PS Armory has it last time I checked.Georgia Arms who is at most gun shows is also a good vendor for this round.I have the Colt version.Colt called the same round Colt 32 New Police.

As an aside, lots of people shoot 32 ACP in the gun.Its a hotter round but I’ve never heard of a problem.I’ve got tons of 32 ACP and may give it a try one day.My pistol is very compact and makes a great “tackle box” gun.

As long as you are shooting the right ammo, and as long as the metal is not highly corroded, and as long as the barrel is free of obstructions - it will be fine.

The problem which was mentioned above is that at the end of the 19th century when self-contained metallic cartridges were becoming very common (replacing muzzle loaders and percussion caps) different companies all made their own. .38 S&W is different from .38 Special, and there were lots of different .32 calibers. Today .32ACP / 7.65mm is the only common one but that might not be what your pistol is chambered for.

So, just make sure you get the right ammo. Search online, people make obsolete calibers but it might be $1-2 per round.

I’ve shot an Enfield .303 that was made in 1906 and a 9mm Luger that was made in 1908.

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

Have it checked out by a competent gunsmith, not an armorer. Age does not necessarily mean too old to shoot. It all depends upon how it has been taken care of and it’s present state. And, like someone said above, that .32 cal round is not a particularly hot round. I have an 1890 8mm German Mauser that I still shoot.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I’ve got a S&W 3rd model, manufactured Aug. 1888, in .38 SW. I have shot it a few times, just enough to verify that it functions.

My Dad took it off a German officer in WWII, said he didn’t need it anymore :smiley: Dad carried it the rest of his life and I inherited it when he died, along with 2 boxes of ammo. It’s in NRA excellent condition antique, appraised at $1,200.

Very cool little wheel gun. I’ve been meaning to build a display case for it and hang it on the wall.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

USA issue S&W .45 Revolver carried by Dr Frank H.Pinkney-yes, he was a direct descendent of THAT SC Pinkney family-as his side arm in WWI.
He was a surgeon.
Gun is in great shape, uses regular ACP ammo. I will not use “hot loads” guns too old.
Saw one a while back at a gun show for $1,600, this one is not for sale!!
Also use early 1900’s S&W .38 hammerless 5 shot revolver my Grandmother used to carry in her purse in NYC. Can’t do that anymore!
Think its nicknamed a “Lemon Squeezer” 'cause the gun breaks open.
Take care of them like any other firearm.
Clean and oil once a year and after firing.
Took the.45 apart some years ago to inspect internals-everything OK.
Watch out for “hairsprings” in older model revolvers-they are not fun
to re-install:wink:

“Watch what we do, not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

I have a lot of old guns, I don’t shoot them for one reason, I have new ones too. If you break something on a gun that you can’t get parts for, then you just made it virtually worthless. CIP, when my FIL died, he left his guns to me. I found a little Winchester 1890 Deluxe in .22 Short had the gun been taken care of it would have been worth $10K, as I found it, it’s worth about $1K. Collectors guns should be preserved, cheap plastic guns can be used and abused, they’ll never be worth more than you paid for them.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

There is a S&W collectors forum that can answer any question you have about old Smiths.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I shoot my grandfather’s S&W .38 special. It is about the same age as yours. 1912-1913. I second the Smith and Wesson forum. They helped me out. I would not shoot +P through it.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/215311-age-38-special.html#post136178911

I’ve got an early 1900’s S&W 32-20 that I shoot occasionally.It was the military,police version and apparently the 32-20 is,was a carbine round.Can still get the ammo but pricey.It’s a solid revolver that shows its’ wear and is surprisingly accurate.

I lightly oiled with a soft cloth tonight and decided to take a few pictures. Looking forward to shooting this old thing one day. I’d love to see what everyone else has.

Serial number 109XXX

quote:
I'd love to see what everyone else has.

You are better with pictures than I am, and have a much better camera too, but I’ll try. Give me a few minutes.

Question, why do people always XXX out the last 3 digits?

I’ve got an old Colt .38 that looks a lot like your S&W. Haven’t researched it any.

Capt. Larry Teuton

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
I'd love to see what everyone else has.

You are better with pictures than I am, and have a much better camera too, but I’ll try. Give me a few minutes.

Question, why do people always XXX out the last 3 digits?

I’ve got an old Colt .38 that looks a lot like your S&W. Haven’t researched it any.

Every other picture of a gun online is like that. I figured it made sense not to post the serial number. Not that anyone could do much with a 100 year old serial number…

I think the colt and S&W 38s were similar back in the day…

Here is my S&W, I’m told 3rd model. I’m no expert. Cell phone pics aren’t great.

No, I didn’t XXX the last 3 digits. Hope that’s not a party foul or anything important :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

Cracker-
I have the hammerless version of that gun-probably a little later model-mine has a blued finish.
It’s easy to see why they were nick named “Lemon Squeezers”.

“Watch what we do, not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

I have Remington model 4, .22 from 1911. Cool little rifle. I got it from my FIL.
I’m afraid to shoot it for the reasons salty said. It looks solid, but what if something breaks…

I have a Radom VIS 35 with three clios my Dad “relieved” from a German officer in WWll. Great gun and from what I have read a collector gun. CLips alone are selling for $300 on line. Sometime in the fifties Dad thought it would look cool chromed. Big mistake. I would like a suggestion for a Gunsmith to refinish the pistol back to the original blue.

People will forget what you said…
People will forget what you did…
But people will never forget how you made them feel.