Old sailer

Had a appointment at the VA in Charleston yesterday morning. Getting ready to go this old fellow comes up to me. That sure is a pretty cycle. We stood out there and talked for probably 45 minutes. The old dude is 101 years old. He piloted a landing craft on D-Day. His landing craft took a mortar right at the beach. He said at that moment he turned into a dang marine. He grabbed a weapon and a bandelier off of a dead marine and headed to the beach. He fought with them for 2 days. Then he got hit. He said that got me back to a nice warm dry ship. And something to eat. Said he had not eaten in 2 days. He got discharged. Ended up in New York. He found a army surplus Harley-Davidsons. He rode around the country for about a year and then ended back in South Carolina. Said he road a motorcycle tell he was 87 years old. Got hit in a Walmart parking lot by car backing out. Said his family raised so much hell so he finally give it up.
His great granddaughter finally dragged him away. I could have stood there all day with that old sailer. What an honor or to be able to spend a little bit of time with such an amazing guy.
He lives in Surfside. I promised when I get my side car I will come get him if for a ride.
These great men are almost all gone. We lose 2,000 of them a day.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

That is a trip, 101, he has seen it all I bet.
I had 3 uncles that fought in WWII, they have all passed. I went fishing with 2 of them as a kid & they would tell me stories. Not about the fighting but about the country, people they met, & crazy stuff they got into when they had down time. Just don’t make men / sons / fathers / brothers / uncles like them anymore.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

He’s a amazing man. We mostly talked about motorcycles… He spent almost three weeks on the hospital ship. Then he was assigned to the Seabees to clear minefields and repair roads. He spent 6 maybe 8 months in France. He could not quite remember sure. Said there was a lot of wine involved. But when he got his orders to go State side he said he almost went a awol. He said the French women just loved the Americans. And oh how he just loved the French women back. Said he did his very best to try to repopulate France single-handedly. And he just laughed like crazy. This guy is sharp as a tack still.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

these old stories are priceless, and quickly disappearing

Pioneer 197SF

I remember my Dad telling me stories about when he was a kid in Beaufort. He told me about Civil War veterans marching in the Veteran’s Parade and how some of them would let them hold a sword or a pistol. My Grandfather and one of his brothers were merchant marines during WW II and I remember him telling me about giant convoys taking supplies and equipment to Murmansk, Russia and how the horizon would be lit up at night by burning ships that had been torpedoed by German u-boat. My Dad served in Vietnam and it wasn’t until I was in my 30’s that he actually said much about being there. I hope these stores don’t get lost.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

You need any helps with the sidecar? You definitely need to do it.

My Dad was a bomber pilot during WWII. High above the killing on the ground…but…death around him in the sky. He asked God to forgive him for the people he killed during his last days alive. It tormented him his whole life. No one can relate to their experiences, unless, they were there.

I have never been in that position…nor do I want to be. I thank all veterans for their service, but, especially combat veterans. Think of the money squandered on political campaigns…and maimed veterans without adequate hosing that gives them a chance to make the best out of life. How sad they are forgotten.

Not to mention the mental scars. Why you think that dude took off on a bike? Hard to clear your mind after seeing what he saw.

Let me know about the sidecar…I’ll be there. I take it I don’t need to bring any tools…just boatpour.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman