OMG

Not to mention, how are low income families going to afford these fancy automated cars? You will always have older, more affordable cars on the road, always have traffic, and therefore always have vehicle accidents. By the time they are affordable for EVERYONE in the country we will be buying flying cars and won’t need roads anymore. Then our insurance will go up again because we will all have to get pilots licence to fly to the grocery store.

What’s wrong with that 23:question: Did I say something that you don’t understand:question: We are going a little to far out, to fast!

anything that prevents cars from running into each other is a good thing. Less crashes, lower insurance premiums. They put brakes on cars to help them stop and keep them from hitting objects…didn’t they?!! That was a requirement. Brakes seem like a good idea to me. Advanced technology that would prevent cars from crashing is good.

HOWEVER…I also heard that a pending regulation will require electric cars to make noise! Manufacturers will have to add a sound producing device on electric cars so that pedestrians and bicyclists can hear them coming!!! Now that is a dumb idea!

Hole thread makes me wanna stomp a bag of kittens. Or kick 23 in the crease

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

HOWEVER…I also heard that a pending regulation will require electric cars to make noise! Manufacturers will have to add a sound producing device on electric cars so that pedestrians and bicyclists can hear them coming!!! Now that is a dumb idea!

Oh heck no!!! That’s a great Idea. You know how many times my Dad has snuck up on me on his golf cart?? I put a cow bell on it.

Really though, silent cars running posted speed limits while a person is walking or riding a bike could be disastrous.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Hole thread makes me wanna stomp a bag of kittens. Or kick 23 in the crease

Whoa there. I like kittens.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

More automated cars=less car wrecks=lower insurance premiums=less taxes due to public works cleaning up=less medicaid due to injuries. It’s not a difficult thought process.

Why is this so hard to see?

The free market is already creating this tech. It’s not really that complicated. Likely just a piston to push the break, a few IR lasers, and an application that is added to the computer already in your car. Have yall never seen a car that has a light on the side view mirrors to warn drivers they have somebody in their blind spot? That’s half the system there. There are several (likely all) manufacturers that have already integrated this system (auto-breaking) into production.

I got into the slightest of wrecks last week on 526. The ever present slamming on the breaks to stop for what appears to be nothing actually slowing traffic. A guy tapped my back bumper leaving a few little scratches and 2 holes half the size of a dime. JUST to replace the bumper and nothing under it was quoted at about $900 by two repair shops. There are about 6 million car accidents a year. If we pretend they are all as little as mine (beyond generous) that’s $5.4 billion that could be saved by drivers and their insurance companies.

I know a lot of people hate robotics because they threaten their worth to society but the more robotic cars are the safer we all will be. We’re not ready for autopilot yet but assisted breaking is a good leap in the right direction.

To add to the taxes point if we reduce accidents then we reduce congestion which reduces our need to expand our roadways. I don’t know how much more efficient our roads would be but considering 526 has a wreck on it basically every afternoon on my way home from work I’m sure it would be a significant

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

anything that prevents cars from running into each other is a good thing. Less crashes, lower insurance premiums. They put brakes on cars to help them stop and keep them from hitting objects…didn’t they?!! That was a requirement. Brakes seem like a good idea to me. Advanced technology that would prevent cars from crashing is good.

isnt the new ford mustang ecoboost already doing that? it pumps “fake” engine noises through the speakers inside because the wimpy turbo charged 4cylinder sounds like crap.