Opinions on living/working in the Florida Keys

Lets hear them!

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition” -Howell Forgy

Not necessarily a forever place but fun while you’re there! I was living/fishing out of Summerland Key for a good part of 5 years. Where are you looking to relocate to? What will you be doing for work?

Summerland, ramrod, bigpine area or maybe marathon if the price is right. I am looking at construction superintendent or facility maintenance and the wife is looking at working for a realtor managing vacation rentals.

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

As someone who is “going to move back to the coast someday” for the past 15 years, I say go for it. If you can make it happen, do it.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

As much as I love the Keys, I can’t say I would want to live there year round. There are things I would miss that they just don’t have down there.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

Not necessarily a forever place but fun while you’re there! I was living/fishing out of Summerland Key for a good part of 5 years. Where are you looking to relocate to? What will you be doing for work?

Did you ever get “trapped” on another keys because of a wreck? I have heard that can be a real problem if you live on one key and groceries/etc are on another.

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

As much as I love the Keys, I can’t say I would want to live there year round. There are things I would miss that they just don’t have down there.

Help me out with some ideas. Most items I have thought about I could vacation and see them. Kind of like live where you vacation so you can vacation where you live…

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

Do you mean as far as “things I would miss”? If so, seasons, grass (not much down there) wide open spaces (not the ocean), places I shop and people I do business with, friends, relatives. Things are more expensive down there, some things are harder to find. Not the selection of things you have here. I’d miss fishing the marsh, shrimping, crabbing.

All that being said, I’m not saying the Keys aren’t great, they are we (my family) love going. The fishing is fantastic, just different fro what we have here. Maybe part of the allure of the Keys is that it is vacation and not where I live. Living there might kill the magic after a while. Even if I were independently wealthy, I do not think I’d live there. I’d live on our coast and have a place to go down there. That’s just me.

One thing I would miss is friendly people. Most of the people/workers I always encounter are unfriendly pricks. At least around Islamorada they are.

quote:
Most of the people/workers I always encounter are unfriendly pricks.

There are definitely some odd ducks down there. Not near as friendly as folks here in SC.

It is definitely not the same. Not many are 'from ’ Key West… We are from here…( and besides… mama is here). :wink:

If you are in a position in life that allows you to make a move like that, do it. I lived on the Montana/ Wyoming line in the mid 90’s and St. John USVI a few years later. The people were very similar–in my experience–in both places. I think it was the sheer remoteness of both. Island life takes a peculiar personality for long term settlement, but it could be a great temporary experience.

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…