Opinions on Toyota 4runners

Recently sold the wife’s car and am now out to find a midsized suv with third row seating. The 4runner is on the short list. I like that it is still built on a “truck” frame unlike some others. Any opinions would be great.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition” -Howell Forgy

When we found out about our twins coming, we new we would have to upgrades vehicles. My wife was adamant about not getting a minivan, so we looked long and hard at midsize Suv’s. I wanted her to get a 4runner, but what we found was the new Dodge Durango was the best thing for us. Ours has the second row captains chairs so my oldest can go between the seats and get to the back without having to remove a carseat base and fold the second row seat down. It also comes with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, so I figured if it was a POS, at least it would be covered under warranty for a long time. So far we both love it and it does really good on gas and will haul arse even with just a V6.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

We are on our second one, 2015 Limited, absolutely love it, wife’s car but I drive it on the road trips. Drove it 13 hours with one gas stop and I could have driven it a lot longer but we arrived where we were heading. The seats are like Nascar seats that wrap around you and are heated and cooled. Wife takes it on 4 hour trips pretty regularly visiting family. We bought it over in West Ashley and I would have to say they were good to work with, never pressured, haggled back and forth but both sides were happy. She takes it in for the free oil changes. I can’t remember the name of the salesman but he was great to work with and we drove everything but went back to the 4runner.

I can’t speak to the 4-runners, but we bought a used Chevy Traverse last year. If you take a look at the interior cargo room, it is actually one of the biggest out there. We went to Michigan over the summer, pulling the jet skis, 2 kids in the middle captains chairs, and 2 dogs in the way back. Third row seating is actually functional too. Plenty of room and nice ride so far.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

My wife looked at the 4runner and the Highlander. She preferred the ride of the Highlander and that is what we ended up with. Could not be happier. It gets better mileage than her CRV did and the V6 is quite snappy. Hey, they’re both Toyotas, can’t go wrong either way.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Hey, they're both Toyotas, can't go wrong either way.

For sure. If we ever wear out the 2 we have, the next ones will be Toyota also.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I drive the Tundra and my wife drives the 4Runner. I love driving hers when I get the chance. She has the third row seat as well.

To me, the turning radius is a drawback on the 4Runner. You would think with it being a shorter vehicle that it would turn tighter in a parking lot.

Another draw back is items rolling all around in the back. She can come in from shopping, open the back door and everything falls out. There is a clip to attach a cargo net across the back, but the ones I have looked at do not have a way to fasten the bottom down and it appears that items such as can goods could still roll under the net.

Ours is a 2013, so they may have changed some of these with newer models. We drove all the way to Greensboro, NC to get exactly what we wanted at what we felt like a super good deal, if there is such on a vehicle.

Averages around 20/21 mpg.

Good Luck.

18’ Hewes Bayfisher

I just traded in my 2010 Ford Explorer to Summerville Ford. Not sure If you are looking that direction. Nothing wrong with it and it had 71,000 miles on it. Was the limited 4X4 version. White tri coat paint. It’s listed on summervilleford.com . Good luck.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

If you want something that will last you 300,000 miles and you can sell it for way more than any other comparable vehicle with less miles get one. They look good, they last, they hold their value like crazy.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

We are on our 3rd 4-Runner (wife’s car). I have no overall complaints as they have mechanically held up nicely to 175,000 miles and have had awesome resale value. Very low maintenance.