Other worms on Trout Eye Jigs

Had an itch to get out today despite the heavy West wind so I rode down to IOP around mid tide of the falling tide and the wind was STROKING so I walked around a bit, looked it over, waited, failed to talk myself in to it as it just looked terrible and went home…

While back at the house I was waiting for the tide cycle to turn and decided to hit a few creeks in the Wando that would have me protected at low tide and was really wanting to try some more of my favorite bass soft plastics on a trout eye 3/16oz jig head.

Launched and it was still blowing pretty hard but managed to maneuver myself in to a new to me spot and promptly got stuck on top of a mud flat high spot that I could not see due to the water color (yes I will be putting a graph on the bow this Winter, it’s driving me nuts as I am used to 2).

Soooooo, I hung out for an hour and waited for enough water to lift this fat pig of a boat I run (yep, topped her off on the ride home so she was EXTRA heavy…) and while waiting worked on tying loop knots on top water plugs as I’m getting more in to the idea of using a loop knot vs a split ring for topwaters and certain baits like swim baits so I needed some practice. Time not lost entirely despite feeling pretty stupid for getting stuck…

Fan casted for while during my time in the penalty box and caught nothing but fortunately the day was not shot. I was able to get off of the mud bar and get to the spot that I wanted to throw at and then the goodness happened.

Caught some medium sized fish and a couple of nicer fish. The bait I was using was a Reaction Innovations 4" flirt worm in Green Pumpkin and the other pick of the day was a Roboworm in Morning Dawn.

I have 1 original TT in mood ring left that is in the picture below next to the bait I caught the red on rigged on the same jig head.

The wind laid down later in the day and I fished til dark then put it on the trailer and headed home satisfied and also encouraged that the 90+ lbs of soft plastic I have left over from my tou

Some people don’t realize that typical freshwater baits of all types work in the salt. Been using Zoom finesse, trick worms and flukes, Senkos knockoffs like Yum Dingers, generic curly tail worms, and various craws for years.

Good work not giving up! Thanks for the report! Spending a little time on a mud/sand bar will happen around here from time to time…now you’ve been christened is all LOL

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Good work Chuck… Really, we artificial fishermen - all we’re doing is bass fishing with a tide. You have a huge head-start being a bass fishermen :slight_smile:

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to discuss methods and why.

Methods I use to unlodge your self.
If you have powerpoles you can alternate between powerpole and trolling motor to “crab walk” off the high spot. When the powerpoles push down burp the trolling motor on high and you move forward a few inches. Lift the poles and repeat.

No powerpoles?
If the bottom is soft, and your hung in the back, walk to the back and rock the boat, walk forward and hit the trolling motor on high. The trolling motor will lift the bow and force water under the hull. You might move a few inches, then do it again.

Keep the trolling motor slightly deeper than our draft. Then the trolling motor will run aground first. I refer to it as my forward anchor.

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

Good work Chuck… Really, we artificial fishermen - all we’re doing is bass fishing with a tide. You have a huge head-start being a bass fishermen :slight_smile:

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Very true. Well said, Optiker.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s not talking crap if you can back it up…and nothing can back it up better than facts.

I agree. We messed around with all kinds of baits back in the day when my buddy moved here from Indiana. We caught reds on lizards and every soft plastic you could imagine. The one bait I enjoy the most that I brought over from the “freshwater” bag are spinner baits. Your bass fishing has definitely given you a huge advantage on learning the salt.

Thanks guys, I’m having a ball and learning on every trip which is why I love our sport so much, no one will ever master it but we work like hell trying to make sense out of it and keep experimenting. Great advice on getting “un stuck” as that in all truth really pissed me off BUT it’s my own doing so I could only blame me. Love the TM as the “front anchor” idea which I will employ. I just sold a bunch of premium rods that I used for bass fishing and got enough out of them and some custom painted hard baits to cover my new bow mounted graph so I will get depth and water temp as well as 2D and side imaging up front now vs having to walk back and look at the console mounted Lowrance unit. That HOPEFULLY will keep my rig from being stuck again (or at least a few less times)!

I’m super fired up about the prospect of spinner bait fishing as it’s one of my favorite techniques in bass fishing but am suspecting the water may need to warm a bit before that bite gets really good as these fish are a little slow on the take vs what I encountered this Summer which makes sense with the water temps being what they are. Crank baits (lipped and lipless) of all types on oyster bars, rocks, docks, and my favorite place the jetties in all depths and wobble patterns are a blast. I could spend a day hurling DD22’s and square bills out on the jetties catching both shallow & deep fish and hope to again this Spring.

Love sharing information and by no means do I have much figured out but with your help, open minds, and legit transparency on what’s going on we all can learn and hope to have a LOT more fun out there. Really enjoying being a part of this online community. Thanks for all of the support guys and sharing of info guys! Tight lines everybody!!!

Chuck D
2018 Pathfinder 2300 HPS
Yamaha 250 SHO

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck D

I’m super fired up about the prospect of spinner bait fishing as it’s one of my favorite techniques in bass fishing but am suspecting the water may need to warm a bit before that bite gets really good as these fish are a little slow on the take vs what I encountered this Summer which makes sense with the water temps being what they are.

Chuck D
2018 Pathfinder 2300 HPS
Yamaha 250 SHO

Chuck, I’m a bass fishing guy, rarely fish salt. Hope to maybe fish a bit more salt this year.

I can tell you this, if you want to fish a spinnerbait, they work… even this time of year in cooler water. If you ever slow rolled a spinnerbait over deep grass or let it sink to the bottom and do the “pop and drop”, same techniques work in saltwater.

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck D

I’m super fired up about the prospect of spinner bait fishing as it’s one of my favorite techniques in bass fishing but am suspecting the water may need to warm a bit before that bite gets really good as these fish are a little slow on the take vs what I encountered this Summer which makes sense with the water temps being what they are.

Chuck D
2018 Pathfinder 2300 HPS
Yamaha 250 SHO

Chuck, I’m a bass fishing guy, rarely fish salt. Hope to maybe fish a bit more salt this year.

I can tell you this, if you want to fish a spinnerbait, they work… even this time of year in cooler water. If you ever slow rolled a spinnerbait over deep grass or let it sink to the bottom and do the “pop and drop”, same techniques work in saltwater.

Thanks Pitcher, will be taking my blade arsenal with me next time. I’m thinking single blade (Colorado or Indiana blade) vs willow or multiple willow blades like I’d often use for bass. Also thinking no skirt as the bulk is probably not needed and a trailer such as a swim bait or a grub. Thoughts?

Chuck D
2018 Pathfinder 2300 HPS
Yamaha 250 SHO

If you’re slow rolling then willow leaf blades would be fine. Depending on your depth and the current you might need a slightly heavier spinnerbait (1/2-3/4oz), might have to go with slightly smaller blades depending on current.

Colorado and Indiana blades also work.

I always used a skirt and a grub, but I’d have no issue going with a Zman minnow type trailer by itself.

Everything you have in your freshwater tackle box works in the salt. Swap the hook out for a sharper one on a Little George, fish that slow…it also works.

Love it! Thanks for the heads up, love the idea of cast and retrieve on a little george. Always used that vertical fishing for cold deep water spots and smallies up on the Catawba river chain in NC where I’ve been the past 22 years.

Chuck D
2018 Pathfinder 2300 HPS
Yamaha 250 SHO