Outboard brand/model dependability?

Anyone know of a resource, other than anecdotal, for the relative dependability of the different outboard brands and models over time?

As mentioned in a previous thread, I’m just at the front end of researching a repower. If this was a car, I’d have at least 3 huge resources with many thousands of records.

For outboards? Nothing other than “how do like your ‘whatever-brand’?”

'Seems really really thin info for ~$10k purchase.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Agreed with you there. Brand loyalty seems to cover a multitude of sins and stupidity on the part of a lot of manufacturers. I’m not personally aware of any long-term comparison made, and these motor manufacturers seem to “update” and change things so often that by the time we find out a motor is a reliable build, it’s already 3-5 years old.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

I would go talk to a few mechanics around town. They are probably the best resource for what you’re looking to find out.

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha
Big Ugly Homemade Blue Push Pole

Man, you just threw out a crazy one. I was a die hard Ford man, could not convince me that there was anything better. As I’ve aged I’ve owned just about every thing you can think of VW, Datsun/nissan, ford, chevy, dodge, Mitsubishi, Honda, Ferrari, + more.

On Motorcycles, Honda was my choice and then it changed to Yamaha the Vmax and a YZ490 being the best of street and dirt.imo All you Harley guys I’ve had a couple, but they are just a status quo.

I’ll skip industrial and others and now jump to boats.

I was a die hard Evinrude man, as I’ve aged I believe all but a Force make a decent engine. All have pros and cons. Never been one manufacture that hasn’t had some kind of issue.

Today’s standards for manufactures, look for the best warranty and price and you’ll be good.

go look in a drystack and count what you see hanging on the back of the boats

Yamaha ox66. Rebuild or new powerhead for less than 2500 and hardly any service bill!! Might drink a lil more gas but wtf!

Contender 25 open “HIGH COTTON”

quote:
Originally posted by spareparts

go look in a drystack and count what you see hanging on the back of the boats

All that shows is the ability of the salesman, not motors themselves.

All of the brands make quality products but just like redfish matt said, it takes a few years for any design flaws to show up.

I agree that if I was looking for a new motor I would look at all of them and go with the best price/warranty combo. Weight may be a big factor as well, take that into consideration.

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude

What are you repowering?

www.baturinphotography.com

To be honest, I have an appreciation for Japanese gas motors. I honestly think they are better at refinement than we (or the Germans) are when it comes to gas motors.

In your case, if you intend on staying in this area, you will really want to look at the people who will be servicing your motor. For example, Hanckel is a good place for Yamaha repair, and Yamaha tends to be a great motor.

If I had a Tohatsu/Nissan (same thing) repair place around here, I’d personally go with Tohatsu because they tend to be several thou less expensive, every bit as good on the warranty. But repair centers are far and few between.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

Whatever you do, dont buy an johnson/evinrude. Nothing but scrap metal junk.

23Sailfish,
a 1988 17’ HenryO Dual Console (<1000 lbs dry)
Currently has a 1995 Johnson 88spl (essentially, a 90) that is requiring more and more up keep.

Back on topic, though… if such a database does not exist, I may start one.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Do it, PalmerScott! The domain “outboardreviews.com” is not used right now, would make a great site if you can figure out the easiest way to list the motors by model number/year.

There is a LOT to make it happen… but, I now have www.outboardreview.com. I’ve developed web applications before, but, only for other people. Dreaming up the database and application design and building it is easy. Figuring out how to get enough participation to get usable data will be a new trick. Don’t know if anything will come of it, but, there certainly is a major lack of information for people who would buy and boat+motor or a repower. I know I wish someone had done this a few years ago. If I make any progress, you here, will be first to know.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt

To be honest, I have an appreciation for Japanese gas motors. I honestly think they are better at refinement than we (or the Germans) are when it comes to gas motors.

Did you know that most Japanese, Chinese, and Korean gas engines and fuel systems come from American patents and engineers? crazy stuff. I do agree on Japanese motors. America is getting better on longevity, probably only because the Foreign market forced us to.

I have a 1997 Honda 50 on a 1971 Starcraft I bought from a friends wife. Her dad before he passed took it out all the time. When he re-powered he put a new hour meter on it. It had 2961 hours on it when I bought it and it did not work, it rusted apart. The motor, controls, and gauges are in excellent shape. I just disassembled the foot for inspection and maintenance. The gears looked barely worn. The inside water channels in the heat have very little corrosion. The motor runs like new. I have put several hundred hours on it, i drain the carbs and flush it every time. I cannot say enough about it.

quote:
Originally posted by penfishn around every bend theres the promise of a treasure that can only be caught and seen in a blink.. and in your minds eye..and sometimes if youre lucky..in a picture..its there for just a minute...then gone..but hopefully once youve seen it it will remain in your heart forever. Theres nothing like the "Smell" and sounds of the creek. Its not just one thing that makes it familiar..its all of it.

every manufacturer has some good and some bad models
they also have issues with certain problems within a model year range

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org