Outdoor Grills-what's your choice

I’m no smoker, but I enjoy cooking outdoors. I’m pretty basic and want something that will last.

Propane in place; I don’t want to do charcoal. Looking for something that’s maybe half griddle, half traditional grates. I love grilling veggies along with steak/burgers/ribs.

What should I get? What should I stay away from?

Those Blackstone’s are all the rave… only complaint I’ve heard so far is that the 24" one is too small, get the 30 something! Has griddle and grill just like you’re looking for

Weber Genesis is my go to, one on far left. I use it several times a week and can cook almost anything with it. Comes with a ten year warranty and they stand behind it. I have had this one for seven years.

What Long Enuff said - Weber Genesis. I have had two, one for about 10 years. The newer one is plumbed into the larger, stationary propane tank used for the kitchen cooktop. No messing around with the little bottles at the grocery store or wherever. I like the one with a fourth burner for searing.

Can get a Lodge or other brand griddle to put on the grill - not expensive. Removable griddle or plate is easier to clean too. Can even do pizza.

I’ve been through a lot of grills and this one has been the best so far for me. I’ve had it 13 years and never an issue. I’ve used the smoke box a few times and also the charcoal side a good bit. But mostly the gas side gets used. Sometimes it’s just nice to have a steak cooked over coals. Every now and then, I’ll get the smoke box going and set a couple steaks up top for a few minutes, then seer on high heat on the gas side.

Got it on sale at Tractor supply it’s an Oklahoma Joe. Not top of the line, but very durable and functional. It is pretty heavy. They still make the model I’ve got.

Weber also makes griddle plates you can buy. Just remove a section of grill top and pop in the griddle plate.

Weber is renowned for their customer service

I treat grills like i do buckets, tennis shoes, and coolers: when everybody else thinks they’re wore out, i’m just getting started.

Pulled a Weber Spirit (?) from a trash pile expecting it to need at least burners and heat shields, turns out the thing was perfectly fine. Went to Lowe’s later that week and they were $600 new. By the time the shields (“flavorizer bars”) got rusty, I called customer service and they sent me a new set.

Zero dollar grills are the best!

You got some good scavenging down where you’re at wang. I never see anything good around here except at the dump.They raise cane with you if they catch you pulling something out of the can.When the convicts were working there, I could get anything for a couple beers. I can’t recommend anything 23 , I cook on charcoal,reminds me of camping on the river.

Grilling some pork chops this evening that I caught on sale at KJs

1 Like

I have been through my share of grills. I now own a Weber and unless the quality goes downhill, will never own another brand. 6 years going and the only thing I have replaced is the little metal “tents” that go over the burners. I replaced the standard ones with SS ones. We use our grill 4-5 times a week and it has never failed. If you want a griddle, just buy one that will sit on top of the grate so you can f=grill/griddle as you like.

Also, get a grilling mat. One of the boys bought me one for Xmas and it is great. I use it to cook veggies, shrimp and other things that might fall between the grates.

DF, I hope you didn’t pay for those “tents” flavor bars. Weber will send you free parts for ten years. They have sent me replacements twice, the current ones being stainless. First thing I cooked on mine seven years ago, was a 14 pound turkey.
It was Christmas 7 years ago and I was supposed to fry it, but the weather looked like rain, so I put it on the Weber indirect heat at 400 degrees and let it rock. Knew it was going to have a lot of drippings, so I replaced the little catch pan with a small pot. Worked like a champ.

Well dang. As a matter of fact, I did. Who knew. Thanks for the heads up though. Wasn’t aware they sent free parts for 10 years.