Overnighter

I wouldn’t do without a radar. maybe on a full moon.

quote:
Originally posted by FLORIDA_BOY2
quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

I’ll say it. You got a new boat, made one successful offshore trip and think you’re ready for an overnight trip with no buddy boat? That’s dumb. Get some more time on your boat during the day to really grasp how it handles, how all the systems work, the ideal layout for things, etc. Playing with it in your driveway can only prepare you so much.

Since you’re going to do it anyways, as others have advised, put glow sticks on everyone just in case and have someone watching at all times. Bean bags are a great investment.

Appreciate your advice and concern but don’t think this is my first rodeo. Yes this is a new boat, I’ve put about 50 hours on it. It’s been offshore more than once. I grew up fishing overnighters as well. I always plan for the worst as to be prepared. I’ve had enough bad stuff happen to be expectant and prepared for many things to come. To the others, I do not have radar. We will have a couple up on watch at all times. I’ll have the spreaders, underwater and cabin lights on as well as USCG required. This post was more less a reassurance of anything that I could possibly forget. I’ve actually gained some knowledge from the responses and have already taken action towards using the info given.

Mike Martinez

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s

Leaving spreaders on will kill your night vision. Not a good idea to be blind without radar.

Yal remember this guy from a couple years ago. Pretty sure he change his screen name. It was Fl something. He use to catch hell on here and should have. Couple years later he shows up with new name, boat ,makes one trip offshore and catches a handful of fish. Now he is an regular old salt.

Yea yea yea, fox you know me oh so well eh? It’s the same name with a 2 lol. Funny how you remember old posts but no old reports. Lol. Regular ol salt? Eh, idk about that. Have I been offshore 100’s of times? Yes. Out of Charleston? No. I’ve been out 15-20 times here. I didn’t say my decision was the smartest you’ve ever heard of. However I’m going to do it. I picked a pretty good weather day to do so as well. I’m also pretty comfortable in my limits and what I’m willing to face.

Mike Martinez

Lol, comical. This site hasn’t changed over the years. Floridaboyz doesn’t need an education, he has been offshore. I think some of you have nothing to do except hate, it’s comical. His post surely appreciates good advice and tips as AS MOST OF US APPRECIATE. But, we don’t need some of you treating us like kids. Get a life and better yet, preach to your own kids if you were lucky to find a woman to have you. Mark

If you don’t like it, oh well.

Mark, it’s no big thing. Everyone is titled to their opinions and most of the guys here are good guys and no more than just giving their fellow fisherman a hard time. Id rather someone be a d.ick and give me sound advise then say nothing at all.

Mike Martinez

somebody correct me if I am wrong but even on an overnighter you can still only keep ONE limit of each species of fish, correct? because DNR doesn’t know you have been out overnight…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Yes, and this was my opinion. So, I will stick my nose in as I see others do all over this forum. Good advice, yes, sound advice, yes, being a website forum dick, NO. its the same ol veterans of this forum that do the same stuff on every post. I’m not religious so I believe in charma though, lol, have a safe night out and be sure to post the outcome.

If you don’t like it, oh well.

Bonzo that discussion came up last night and I wasn’t sure so unless I got a firm answer I would be shedding on the side safe and keeping 1 limit. Main goal is meat fish so I don’t see limits with 5 on the boat being an issue. Not on my boat atleast.

Mike Martinez

quote:
on an overnighter you can still only keep ONE limit of each species of fish, correct?

That is correct.

Yall be careful out there. The ocean is a beautiful place at night :sunglasses: Nowhere on land can you see the stars like that.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Thanks Larry…we’re gonna try and just have a good ol time on the big blue. Catching fish is just a bonus. I’m hoping some of those flat green fish find there way home with us. I sure stocked up this week on sea witches, Cedar plugs, 275lb cable and other trolling necessities. Also finally got some good bolt cutters. Always on edge about a fish throwing a lure, really the Yozuri!!

Mike Martinez

quote:

Thanks Larry…we’re gonna try and just have a good ol time on the big blue. Catching fish is just a bonus. I’m hoping some of those flat green fish find there way home with us. I sure stocked up this week on sea witches, Cedar plugs, 275lb cable and other trolling necessities. Also finally got some good bolt cutters. Always on edge about a fish throwing a lure, really the Yozuri!!

Mike Martinez

What is the 275lb cable and bolt cutters for?

Consider a radar reflector on your upright outrigger at night.

Y’all be safe FB2 and let us know how it goes. Most think I’m dumb for running the ledge in my KW 196, but 7 years of doing later I’m still here to talk about it. We can’t all have the luxury of having that 36’ Yellowfin. Some of us just have to pick the days right and make sure you cover your bases. I think that radar reflector someone mentioned is a good idea though.

Key West 196;150 Yammie

Life Is Good…Gotta Love It!!!

Excellent suggestion if you don’t have Radar.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Mike Martinez

In January I had a wahoo sling a big Marauder and some how one of the hooks went through my right ring finger. My crimps weren’t big enough to cut it off. I now carry a small pair from Northern Tools. The $8 investment has to be better than driving back in slop for 50 miles with a hook in your throttle hand.

What’s more dangerous? Going for an overnighter like FB is doing or (a) riding a motorcycle without a helmet (b) jogging anywhere or (c) just driving to work while 75% of drivers are texting?

To each to their own…

Good luck FB. Got2Go will be out there with the other 400 boats Saturday.

quote:
Originally posted by Got2Go
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Mike Martinez

In January I had a wahoo sling a big Marauder and some how one of the hooks went through my right ring finger. My crimps weren’t big enough to cut it off. I now carry a small pair from Northern Tools. The $8 investment has to be better than driving back in slop for 50 miles with a hook in your throttle hand.

What’s more dangerous? Going for an overnighter like FB is doing or (a) riding a motorcycle without a helmet (b) jogging anywhere or (c) just driving to work while 75% of drivers are texting?

To each to their own…

Ahh. Thanks. Missed that in his original post somehow.

quote:
Originally posted by Got2Go
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Mike Martinez

To each to their own…

Holla at me tomorrow morning. Anyone getting out and setting lines at 7am or later I’ll give you an early report

Mike Martinez

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Ya

5:25pm? I figured you’d be 40 miles out fixing to be knee deep on those sunset blackfins by now, :wink:.

Hopefully you did not go. Rough ocean out there. Weather man was wrong today and will be tomorrow. Be safe