Oyster Cooker

Looking to buy a cooker and stockpot to start cooking up oysters at home. Is the 42qt or 60 qt aluminum stockpot a better size for enough oysters for 1-3 people. Looking at this cooker, right one? Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419963448&sr=8-2&keywords=bayou+classic

I’d go with the 60 as you may have more peeps over to eat now and then, and have more capacity. You could steam 1/2 bushel at a time easy in it. Cooking less is just less in pot. That’s a nice outfit.

J Ford

You can’t catch 'um on the couch!

The best cooker you will ever buy is made by Southern Steamers out of Guyton Georgia. The table topper is perfect for 1 to 3 people, or for 10 to 12 people. You can also make lowcountry boil in it. If you go down there and pay the guy cash he sells them for cheaper than they are listed on his website. The website is http://www.southernsteamers.com/

You may not want to spend that much but it is well worth it. If you decide to go with the one you are looking at, I would get the 60qt since you can just put less oysters in it for fewer people.

Low Country True Value in Mt. P had some nice ones when I was in there before Christmas. Did not catch who they were made by. I think it may have been these.

http://www.charlestonshuckerco.com/category_s/1.htm

Yep, makes sense with getting the 60qt, larger capacity could come in handy, just thought it might take longer to heat up versus smaller size but I guess that depends on the water level.

if your burner is like mine, the flame will come out on the sides w/ a 42qt cooker. 60 qt will probably heat up just as fast.

I couldn’t get the link to work Google “Bulls Bay Oyster Roasts” and check out their oyster cooker. A bit pricey but nice…

quote:
Originally posted by Striker

I couldn’t get the link to work Google “Bulls Bay Oyster Roasts” and check out their oyster cooker. A bit pricey but nice…

https://bullsbayoysterroasts.com/product/oyster-cooker/

Go with a ROASTER not a STEAMER

Woodfloats?

Got a real nice steamer from a buddy and I’d rather have some croaker sacks a fire and a good piece of steel with some legs on it…

quote:
Originally posted by capehorn 16

I have the $449.00 steamer just like the one listed from a buddy and I’d rather have some croaker sacks a fire and a good piece of steel with some legs on it…works great for boiling p- nuts.

quote:
I'd rather have some croaker sacks a fire and a good piece of steel with some legs on it....

Me too. Oyters just don’t taste quite right without ode de old fishy croaker sacks, rusty metal and wood smoke.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

The first oysters I remember eating as a kid were at a neighbors house. They had a car hood on blocks over a wood fire. I guess I liked them too much, I got ran off for eating too many.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I have a 15gal SS pot with lid and a metal milk crate sitting on half of a brick to keep crate off the bottom. It will cook them faster than 6-8 people can eat them.

Before I got hold of that pot I used 4 concrete blocks - a 36" square piece of 1/4" AR plate and some burlap oyster sacks. It worked and ate a bunch of them like that. Just was more of a pain dealing with smoke - getting them on/off the plate/fire - and not cooking evenly. It was hard to keep up cooking for a crowd with the fire and plate too.

The pot got me spoiled - just grab crate with gloves and spread it over the table - refill crate - eat - 15-20min repeat! My uncle has one of those ShuckerCo cookers. Nice rig but, pricey. They have about 6 of them they do the Shrine Club roast in St George with. You can do over a bushel at a time with them.

J Ford

You can’t catch 'um on the couch!

I grew up with the metal plate over a fire / wet burlap sack method. It’s definitely more old school. It’s also, as mentioned above, more of a pain in the ass and the results are more inconsistent. Some oysters get scorched, some aren’t opened. I think it’s good for a smaller group, perhaps with people from out of town to impress them with something really local.

But, for ease of use with a bigger group the steamer pot is great. Consistently cooked oysters and you can vary how much you cook them easily. You can eat while they are cooking, rather than tending them and spraying down the burlap, and it’s fast to empty and refill, no hassling with a shovel and all that.

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”