Paint damage from salt

It’s time to sand and repaint my livewell lid. The saltwater seems to bubble the paint anywhere it can find a crack. The mount screw holes and the hole for the handle all have damage. I’m gonna sand and repaint.

Any thoughts on extra steps to prevent this from happening again?

Is that lid aluminum? If so, it looks like electrolysis is the problem, from two different metals touching, in a saltwater environment. One being the lid, the other the latch.
You might try installing a sacrificial zinc anode to the, unpainted, underside of the lid.

Mixed nuts hit it on the head with the electrolysis…
I would strip it down to bare metal. Apply a good etching primer then apply a good enamel paint.
When you reinstall your latch take a milk jug or something and cut a gasket for a bond breaker. And use nylon fasteners to attach it.
Better yet if you can find some type of poly or PVC latch.

Thanks guys! It’s an aluminum lid. I thought about electrolysis but rule it out. The latch is plastic but does have SS bolt and nuts. However the hinge is attached with aluminum rivets and there is bubbled paint there as well. Maybe the rivets are a different type of aluminum?

1 Like

Try a small zinc anode, it couldn’t hurt. Also, remembering your post about the live well build on your boat. Make sure you don’t have any stray currents on board the boat. Note that all devices are grounded properly (to - battery terminal), and isolated from the hull.

@Mixed_Nutz Yes the board is clean of any stray currents. I have 12.4v drop and 12.4 rise on the supply and return on the PCB.

I’ll add the zinc. Just trying to figure out where to put it.

Great advice, and help for all, thanks Mixed.

Under the lid using a small grade 5 zink dipped carrage bolt (so the convex side is up) and a nylon nutt.

Lowes should have them

Yep! And make sure as much of the aluminum is touching the surface of the zinc as possible, and don’t paint over it.

Home Depot does. I happened to be here picking up some hardware to repair my trailer fender, that was torn off due to a blowout, on the way to IOP last week.:grinning:

Thanks guys! The carriage bolt mention gave me an idea. Much appreciated!

Now I just need the Coastal Green paint from SeaArk. It probably be $50 per spray can…oh well.

1 Like

Just make one out of plywood!

Is it possible to make a new lid out of Starboard? I have made a bunch of stuff out of it and love it. It cuts and routs like wood though you have to be a little careful as it can melt but, you’d have no issues with paint, corrosion, etc. and it can be gotten in all kinds of colors. I made a bird feeder out of some leftover sand color I had. Super simple to keep clean and looks pretty good.

1 Like