Painting truck hood

The paint is peeling off the hood of my truck and I’m looking for somewhere to get it painted. I would be willing to take it off and leave it at a shop for as long as needed. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, would it be possible to just find another Silverado that had been wrecked and get a totally new hood? Any advice is appreciated

Truck is an 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 z71 extended cab in dark metallic gray

17’ Mako

If you don’t need glossy, paint-like finish, then I’d use Plasti-Dip.

Get a sander, and sand it until it’s smooth with 200 or 400 grit paper.

Buy a can of Plasti-Dip from Lowes or Auto parts store. Follow directions on can. Then reinstall hood.

Total Cost less than $10.

Problem with finding one in the junkyard is most are there with front end damage…but you may get lucky.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I recommend taking it to Maaco right on Sam Rittenburg blvd. I’m not sure how much it would be but they have the best prices when you are paying out of pocket.
I have the same problem on my 03 Silverado. I think in a couple of years I’m going to take it to Maaco and just have them paint the whole truck.

Dorado II
Carolina Skiff 25DLV

I posted a while back that my son’s 99 S10 was doing the same thing. We ended up putting satin black auto vinyl on the hood. It actually looks pretty good and he is happy with it. I’d post a pic if I knew how to get one off my phone.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I posted a while back that my son’s 99 S10 was doing the same thing. We ended up putting satin black auto vinyl on the hood. It actually looks pretty good and he is happy with it. I’d post a pic if I knew how to get one off my phone.

Dfreedom not sure what kind of phone you have but I just email myself any pics off my phone I want and then save them to my pc’s desk top or documents. When you atttach them to your email I always select the smallest size.

Wondered how your sons hood turned out.

“Why Bruce?”

DF ,sorry we got off to a rocky start.I thought I was the only guy who didn’t know how to post pictures. I know you are a swell guy. And thanks Fred,I’ll get my grandkids on it.They will be rolling their eyes,they just learned me how to get on and post

:smiley:[:

quote:
Originally posted by sman

DF ,sorry we got off to a rocky start.I thought I was the only guy who didn’t know how to post pictures. I know you are a swell guy. And thanks Fred,I’ll get my grandkids on it.They will be rolling their eyes,they just learned me how to get on and post

:smiley::smiley: Thumbs up! Recently got my 4th grandchild. Gotta love em!

“Why Bruce?”

I’ll give that a try Fred.

sman, its all good. Like I say about this place, it is great but, you gotta have thick skin and realize most of us are full of it, myself included.

Hey, it worked. Genius Fred!!

Now we need to do something with the valance below the bumper.

put a wrap on it …

Looks good DF

Thanks Pea, not bad for our first wrap job. We just painted the gray valance under the bumper with black Plasti-Dip, it looks a lot better. Getting it ready for Connor to come back down to CofC.

Chevys seem to always have clearcoat issues on the hood and roof. Back in the 90’s they did a recall and my Dad got his two tone Blazer repainted for free.

Bulls Bay 151