Parachute jigs?

Is this a lure type that a lot of folks use in the lakes? And, if so, what is the most used weights & hook sizes?

I would guess there’s a range to both wight & hook sizes, to cover different depths, but is there a weight/size that most folks might be using much of the time?

Thanks!

I’ve never really heard of them being used on the lakes. I’ve thought about trying them trolling here, but since you have to “work” them, it’s just not practical for when I troll in the summer and the fish are deep.

Used them quite a bit in saltwater though. Very popular at Montauk.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Thank you for the reply!

So, are you using lures, like Stretches & spoons, and bucktails? Or trolling with natural baits?

They all work. IMO, most any time proven lures will work if the fish are eating and you are getting the lure to the right depth.

I don’t fish the lake much in the winter, but casting atificials around points in the spring works well. I like floating Rapalas or soft plastics like Slug-go or fluke.

Overall though, trolling live baits on planers and/or freelines is the most common way to fish when fish can be caught in relatively shallow water during winter and spring.

DF90 Suzuki

Have caught good fish at Scotts Ferry at Clark Hill on umbrella rigs on down riggers in Aug and Sept at 75" Got to watch out for the trees

I was not familiar with parachute jigs. From what I can tell through Google, they are primarily used in the salt. However, I’m sure they could be effective inland like any bucktail or swimbait. You just have to match the hatch. Most of the stripers I’m catching right now are chucking 1-4 inch shad; so I’d size any lure appropriately and base lure color on water clarity. Usually on Murray, you can’t go wrong with white and chartreuse. However, right now there’s a lot of muddy water from the Elbow on up.

James “Captain Fog” Lindler
Team Hardcore
Xpress HB-22
F150 4 Stroke Yammy Jammer
For guide service, search fogmanfisheries on Facebook.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the replies!

I moved here from MD, and parachutes are very popular in the Chesapeake Bay, but so are many other lures for targeting Stripers. Some folks use specific types of lures at specific times of season, and certainly some “match the hatch” too. However, those bigger lures can be all kinds of crazy colors and folks swear by what they use.

I was just wondering if the parachutes were popular here or not, as I hadn’t heard any mention of them specifically. But, I know how that goes, as many folks don’t always like talking about their “secrets” with what they have success with, kinda like spot burning locations!

Also, there’s two schools of thought on this, some folks use inline sinkers with lighter weight jigs, while others like to go direct with a heavier jig when fishing deep.

I can see stumps & and other obstacles being an issue in the shallower waters. Lures aren’t cheap.

Again, appreciate the comments! :smiley:

OK, how about umbrellas rigs? ( thanks boatpoor!) Anyone else use them? This might be any size too, even the “Alabama Rigs” used for bass.

quote:
Originally posted by bigjim5589

Thanks guys! Appreciate the replies!

I moved here from MD, and parachutes are very popular in the Chesapeake Bay, but so are many other lures for targeting Stripers. Some folks use specific types of lures at specific times of season, and certainly some “match the hatch” too. However, those bigger lures can be all kinds of crazy colors and folks swear by what they use.

I was just wondering if the parachutes were popular here or not, as I hadn’t heard any mention of them specifically. But, I know how that goes, as many folks don’t always like talking about their “secrets” with what they have success with, kinda like spot burning locations!

Also, there’s two schools of thought on this, some folks use inline sinkers with lighter weight jigs, while others like to go direct with a heavier jig when fishing deep.

I can see stumps & and other obstacles being an issue in the shallower waters. Lures aren’t cheap.

Again, appreciate the comments! :smiley:

OK, how about umbrellas rigs? ( thanks boatpoor!) Anyone else use them? This might be any size too, even the “Alabama Rigs” used for bass.

I don’t remember using any inline weights to get them down, but it was usually a fairly heavy jig and always stainless steel line:frowning_face:

DF90 Suzuki

quote:

Lots of fisherman using A-rigs and U-rigs to target stripers on Murray. Most are trolled using downriggers or lead core, but there are a lot of trees to hang up on. I have seen people casting A-rigs to schooling fish.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. That gives me a better idea about what’s being used.

I’ve trolled big umbrella’s in the past, but the only Alabama types I’ve used have been very light and sized more for panfish, which I’ve only trolled, never tried casting them. Md’s regs only allowed 2 hooks even on an umbrella/Alabama rig. Trolling was the best method, as most only added one lure with hook, on the center arm, because of balance. The rest are all dummy’s with no hooks on swivels. A big spinner blade on a swivel worked as well as anything.

Wire line! Have done that too, but not in a long time. It was folks that I fished with that had reels spooled with it. Last time I fished that way was about 30 years ago, and with a charter captain. We were targeting Bluefish out of Chesapeake Beach, MD. The moratorium on Stripers was still in affect then.

I’ve known guys who used lead core too, but only used it myself to make weighted leaders for fly fishing. Interesting that they would rig umbrellas, but not so much the parachutes.

It appears there are many similarities here to what is used in the Chesapeake, but some differences too.

OK, last questions! Hook sizes on the bigger, heavier jigs/rigs that are trolled not cast and are they molded in the heads or articulated behind the head? Maybe 2 oz or heavier. I’m sure there’s a range, but is there one that most folks might use, much of the time? I was just discussing this with guys back in MD/DE and in NJ & NY. Some of them being charter captains, some commercial lure makers and some rec anglers. The consensus is 9/0 for trolling and many are using 8/0 for casting, but that’s primarily big surf rigs. I’ve used everything from 3/0 to 12/0 but I also fished a lot in the rivers with lighter tackle, instead of the bay.

I appreciate all the input! Thank you!

From the artificial standpoint, if you can figure out how to run bunker spoons in less than 10’ of water, 50 plus feet away out to the side of the boat it would open up a whole world of possibilities :smiley:

People gasp at my rigs/hook sizes. No rigs are too big for striper. Even small striper.

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain
Sea~N~Stripes Guide Service

quote:
From the artificial standpoint, if you can figure out how to run bunker spoons in less than 10' of water, 50 plus feet away out to the side of the boat it would open up a whole world of possibilities

People gasp at my rigs/hook sizes. No rigs are too big for striper. Even small striper.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I’ve never used the heavy bunker spoons, but have used the big Tony’s, even in shallow water. I agree with you about what they’ll eat! :smiley:

Thanks for the reply & suggestions! :smiley:

quote:

Thank you gentlemen</font id=“size4”></font id=“red”> for the replies. …

Be careful how you use that term, there are many here that you OBVIOUSLY</font id=“size2”> don’t know very well…:smiley:

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish