Parking Brake Adjustment??

I’m doing a rear brake job on a 1999 Chevy S10 pickup. I had forgotten how much I hate drum brakes until this morning. I have one side done but am not sure how to adjust the parking brake. I know turning the “star” on the adjuster does this but, there is no hole on the back of the plate so am I supposed to do it before putting the drum back on?

I thought I read somewhere that they were self-adjusting and by backing up and braking a few times they would adjust but, I can’t seem to find that anywhere now.

Thanks

DF, been years since I’ve done a break job on drum breaks! The Star Wheel is used to adjust the distance of travel between the break shoe and the drum! To adjust or turn the Star Wheel you need a screw driver to push the self adjuster off the wheel! Then you turn the wheel with the break tool! I think you just turn a nut where the Parking Break cable attaches to the break shoe to take the slake out of the cable to adjust the Parking Break! You did have to back uo and slam on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePOTERmApwthe breaks to adjust the breaks!

I’ve run across a couple of drums that don’t have the adjustment hole. but look really good for a rubber plug on the back side across from the “star” adjuster.

On initial set up just adjust to a slight rub when installing the drum over new shoes than back it off just a little so you have no rub but tight tolerance. You don’t want them rubbing when you put the drum back on. Check this by hand spinning the tire after you put it back on… you also don’t want it too loose.

And yes all modern Drum brakes are self adjusting and a few stops while backing “should” adjust if you have them set too loose.

Make sure you have the shoes centered as sometimes they will cock a little to the right or left. If you have them changed already the hard part is over… adjustment is a piece of cake!

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Strangely, no adjustment holes on the back of the plate. Got them done though. I haven’t done a drum brake job in over 20 years. I forgot how much I hate them. Everything seems to be in working order and the parking brake works so all is good. Getting it ready to take it down to my son at CofC. He’ll finally have a car at school and I’m trying to do as much preventive maintenance that I can.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

You’re a good Daddy! Only thing that could have made it better is having him help, so he could learn how to do it!

I would have had him do it while I supervised but, he is already down in Charleston. He is an RA and had to go back to school 2 weeks early. I made him help me when we replaced the radiator a few weeks ago and did the front brakes last year. Trying to make this S10 last a couple more years until his brother starts driving.

I’m hoping he makes enough money that he pays someone else to do his repairs once he is on his own.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?