Pecan Tree

We have a huge Pecan tree here in Ga that used to put out a ton of those big, thin shelled nuts that are awesome!

In the last few years, it’s output has declined greatly. Alot of developed shells without content as well. Something with the soil i’m guessing. Only thing I have tried is putting out some 10-10-10 when I used to do the garden thing. DIdn’t help.

This tree has grown so much that, when it loads down like it used to, the branches will be breaking. That will be a good thing!!

Besides soil treatment, do you ever need to cut them back??

Thanks a bunch for any advice on this!!

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

The best thing to do in GA is to take a soil sample to the nearest agricultural extension agency and tell them you want to grow pecans. Go there first and get some sample bags. Instructions are on the bag. For a few bucks they will do a soil analysis and tell you exactly what you need. It’s free for commercial enterprises, just a few dollars for home owners. They also have free publications on growing pecans, including pruning.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

seems some pecan trees produce in cycles. They need zinc to produce good. Never really know what is missing unless you do the soil sample like Cracker suggested.

Also keep in mind how much rain the tree gets, a long dry spell will cause them to drop the buds. One more thing to think about if you don’t see squirrels in the day are flying squirrels at night. Lot’s of times they don’t wait for the pecans to mature to start destroying them.

Usually Pecans drop enough limbs without having to be cut back, messy yard tree.

Good luck next year!

I’ve known some folks, my grandparents included, who dug holes with post hole diggers around the roots and buried cans of Red Devil lye. Seemed to work for them. I’d take a soil sample to a UGA extension service before I did that. They have good years and bad, either way.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Thanks, Larry & Fred for the info!!!

Just got off the phone and to my surprise, UGA has an extension office 3 miles from my house:stuck_out_tongue:!

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

Zinc is key to their productivity. But, the trees do usually cycle every other year.

Excuses? I’ve heard them all!

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I’ve known some folks, my grandparents included, who dug holes with post hole diggers around the roots and buried cans of Red Devil lye.

I have the same memories from my grandparents…