Penn Corrosion

I know this topic has been covered before with older Penn reels but, has anyone had any issues with the paint/finish of newer Penns? I have a Battle that is about a year old. It has been used maybe 6 times, is washed after each used AND sprayed down with the Penn rod/reel spray and paint is flaking off it. I have 2 Shimanos and an Okuma that are more than 4-5 years old that look better and have been used a lot more. It does not make me want to spend anymore more money on Penn reels.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

it might be old stock from when they had a problem? Even though you bought it a year ago it might be an older model?

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

1 Like

It is actually a Battle II, my bad. Can’t be too old.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I’ve had paint knocked off but haven’t noticed any corrosion. Penn fierce 5000, 8000, 5000 owned for approximately 3, 2, &1 year respectively.

I personally don’t care what mine look like as long as they work.

Only issue I’ve had is the antireverse kicking out of position and clicking as I reel. It remained functional and appears to be a factory issue. Hpt has fixed it twice quite quickly. If it happens again I’ll get it replaced.

First, Most, Biggest

1 Like

I used to be a loyal Penn reel user, but all of my Penn spinning reels ( Battles ) seem to malfunction and corrode much too quickly.I switched to Shimano ( the less expensive Symetre ) reels. So far so good. I take good care of my equipment. So, I’m a Shimano angler now.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, the Battle II should not have the problem. They had a bad problem with the original Battle. I had one that got real bad. I contacted Nasty Dawg (? I think that was the handle) who is a Penn rep and he replaced it no charge. At least they stand by their product.

I had a big striper blow up on my combo of 7’6" UglyStik Inshore Select and older (4yr old) Penn Pursuit 3000, BROKE THE REEL SEAT IN HALF ON THE STRIKE. after I picked the reel itself out of the gathering guide and zip tied it back onto the rod, the fish was still on! It was a lure I had forgotten to punch my barbs down on. Which I 99% do always!

No matter how many variables I have control over, I never expect a bite. I only hope.

I have a Battle II 3000 now which doesn’t even resemble the same company, except in profile when compared to a Pursuit 3000 from a few years ago, I ain’t sayin’ the Battle II is gods gift to fishing, but compared to their combo lines from half a decade ago, it IS.

No matter how many variables I have control over, I never expect a bite. I only hope.

The reels I’ve had corrosion problems with are Shimano Stradics. Like them otherwise, but found out Shimano classifies them as FRESHWATER. Maybe they should put warning against saltwater use.
Roger

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

Ah, yeah, the Battle II should not have the problem. They had a bad problem with the original Battle. I had one that got real bad. I contacted Nasty Dawg (? I think that was the handle) who is a Penn rep and he replaced it no charge. At least they stand by their product.

I believe Cameron moved on from Pure Fishing this past spring. He was always very helpful with any issues I had.

quote:
Originally posted by Ona Mission

The reels I’ve had corrosion problems with are Shimano Stradics. Like them otherwise, but found out Shimano classifies them as FRESHWATER. Maybe they should put warning against saltwater use.
Roger

Of all of the rods and reels I use when fishing in the salt, 99% are all freshwater set ups. I do have a couple of Quantum Smoke inshore rods and reels and a few ALX Boku rods (ALX’s inshore rods) but everything else is gear I use while bass fishing and I have yet to have any corrosion issues (knock of wood) and I’ve been using that gear for years. I give them a freshwater wash down when I wash the boat after being in the salt and I service (take apart, clean, lubricate) my gear once a year.

For what it’s worth, I buy the best gear I can afford and I take care of it. If it doesn’t meet my expectations or live up to what I put it through, I buy better/different gear.

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

All of the battles I’ve owned
have had the same problem. The paint flaked off around the reel seat. I’ve only had cosmetic problems with the battles but I’ve yet to experience any problem at all with my Shimano gear. I gave a few penn combos left in my garage but anything I buy new is Shimano.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

I picked up a Battle 2 earlier this year, my Penns have always been solid.

Yeah, I don’t think I’ll be buying Penn anymore. Not when my older Shimano and Okuma reels look better and see as much if not more use.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’ve had some penn fierce 6k and original battle 6k for 3 years or so that are used in saltwater all the time. I rinse them down after EVERY trip and spray some reel magic on them occasionally. No issues. Same for older shimano sahara fb, stradic fj, a few saros, and more. No issues. I have seen some very nasty looking penn battles, where the finish is destroyed. I think these probably had some issue at the factory and were doomed. It happens, send it to penn and they should make it right.

Been slowly adding to rods and reels. Have a couple old Shimanos which have held up well. Old Spheros FB is a fav. Looked at a new Spheros SW and the build felt really cheap. Went with a couple Penn Spinfisher VI’s. The “sealed body and spool” sold me. Sucker for marketing. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

LMAO, didn’t realize this was a 7 YO thread. Coulda sworn I saw y’all talking about this recently.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Your thinking about a post OTC just started a couple days ago.
FYI, I haven’t had any finish issues with my Penn Battles or Fierce.

Thanks bud, that was it. Kinda fumblin around here lol

Well, at least we know Penn corrosion was a problem even way back then. Hmmm, you’d think maybe they’d fix that.