Periwinkles for Sheepshead

Has anyone ever tried these as bait, I was walking a flat and was told by a friend they saw someone taking them and said they were going to fish with them. Any ideas or thoughts?? Figured it was worth a try since they are pretty accessible and a whole lot cheaper than fiddlers if they work.

Thanks for any input

These are the periwinkles I speak of hanging on all the grass shoots

Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,
goes home through the alley.
-Anonymous

Seems like you could stick a hook into them, and when they crushed the shell you could stick them.

yeah I might have to try it

-Anonymous

Do it. I’ve heard it works from some fellas down in georgia

“mr keys”

That crab in the pictures appears to like them.

Yeah thats what I originally took the picture for haha, walking a flat you see this all the time

-Anonymous

are the “periwinkles” you speak of snails?..if so, Sheeps LOVE them things

Yeah, I have just always heard them called periwinkles, snails do seem a little more appropriate, sorry I am just a confused mountain man haha, we call them periwinkles in the creeks back home. They look exactly the same just larger. Looks I need to start gathering for my next day off

-Anonymous

It’s periwinkles!

Go fish

would you hook them shell and all or remove them?

17’ High Tide CC
60 Yamaha

Through the shell just like a barnacle, hopefully on the sheepshead first bite (crushing the shell) I could get a hook set, hope to try them soon, maybe Tuesday

-Anonymous

I was out with a friend sheephead fishing under the Ben Sawyer before they rebuilt it and to even the score of him out-fishing me, I’d put the periwinkles on my hook with a fiddler. I swear I did better with them.

I wonder if a battery operated drimel tool with a small drill bit would make putting on the hook a little more productive. :wink:

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 17 year old
1 - 13 year old
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Do I hear of a new invention in the works?? Haha

quote:
Originally posted by claim

I was out with a friend sheephead fishing under the Ben Sawyer before they rebuilt it and to even the score of him out-fishing me, I’d put the periwinkles on my hook with a fiddler. I swear I did better with them.

I wonder if a battery operated drimel tool with a small drill bit would make putting on the hook a little more productive. :wink:

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 17 year old
1 - 13 year old
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

-Anonymous

My father in law throws a few tournaments every year on the pier(s). Back around 2006 I saw the snickers for sheepshead used on the pier by some Old Salt. Catching the biggest sheepies you have ever seen. 12-15# Easy! Using a 6oz. weight and still feeling the bite & landing these big suckers. I was amazed and schooled at the same time.

Nope it was not a clam & rubberband either. He was using scrapings off the jettie’s which amounted too shell and thick sea organisms that grow on the rock. This stuff is magic and holds fairly well on the hook, better then china backs for sure. This gentlemen knew what he was doing and impressed the shell out of me!!!

paper clips bo…paper clips…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Paper Clips…

Roger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2RMXleGxuo