Pervious Concrete

Anyone do or know of someone who does pervious concrete driveways?

Thanks

I don’t but, I’m curious, what do you use such concrete for?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

On Folly that have passed an ordinance that you cannot pour solid concrete driveways. You have to do gravel or pervious concrete. My mom is building a house on Folly and the reason for not allowing solid concrete driveways anymore is that it’s one of the reasons for the flooding after a heavy rain.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I don’t but, I’m curious, what do you use such concrete for?

It allows for some infiltration so it reduces the amount of stormwater runoff compared to an impervious pavement like typical concrete or asphalt.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

Yep, as andyb stated.

SeaPro 220CC

Ah, okay. Does it hold up as well as concrete? I bet it costs more.

I don’t know about the long term factor, but it’s more expensive. She “had” a quote for solid concrete of $5,300 and pervious concrete was $10,500!

SeaPro 220CC

Seems like water would get in and freeze in our few very cold nights.

You might also look into permeable pavers as an alternative to pervious concrete and gravel.

Freeze/thaw is a concern, but not really down here where the hard freezes are infrequent. More so up north in colder climates. However, as long as the underlying soils infiltrate enough water, the concrete itself is not usually saturated because it drains so quickly through the large air voids. On the other hand, if the concrete is saturated, since the voids are so much larger than the air voids in standard concrete, the freeze/thaw damage can be much more severe. In simplified explanation, there’s nothing special about the mix. All it is is regular concrete without the fine aggregates in the mix which leaves it with large air voids when placed that water can drain through.

Both quotes sound high to me, but it’s kind of difficult to know if the quotes are reasonable without knowing the area of the driveway. Got an approximate square footage?

www.militaryappreciationday.org

Just googled it. Looks like Rice Crispy Treats

Organic, Rice Crispy Treats! They cost more! If it’s the codes that are holding you up, wait until the house is done and you have a Certification of Occupation, in hand before you pave the drive way. The Building Inspector will disappear at that point! Then, do what you want! I made my driveway 2 feet wider and added a large parking area! Plus, my Pea Gravel walkways, turned into Stamped concrete! And they never came back, because the hadn’t been paid too!

Well, the contractor poured the solid driveway about 2 weeks ago. He did have a permit for the concrete driveway but with the new ordinance the inspector will not give her the CO to move in. The house is 90% complete. The driveway has to be taken up before he will give it to her. It’s the contractor fault for not knowing the codes and she could fight it with the city because she was given a permit. But they are saying it has to be pervious concrete plus she doesn’t want to wait any longer to get moved on.

Plus there are lots of non-Folly people who now live on Folly who ride around and think they are building inspectors and tell everyone what they should and should not be doing.

SeaPro 220CC

For the money get 789 slag stone with fines mixed in. It will harden like concrete in a few weeks of driving on it.I think it is $12 a ton plus 75 an hour for the truck to run. Best part is it won’t crack like pervious will with the sand underneath it.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-HT Bugbuster

easy with the dropin protip. good work.

whatcha got to make my entire HOA go away?

lived on folly for 8 years and never had to scrape my windshield- don’t think freezing is a problem

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

whatcha got to make my entire HOA go away?

move…

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-HT Bugbuster

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

Well, the contractor poured the solid driveway about 2 weeks ago. He did have a permit for the concrete driveway but with the new ordinance the inspector will not give her the CO to move in. The house is 90% complete. The driveway has to be taken up before he will give it to her. It’s the contractor fault for not knowing the codes and she could fight it with the city because she was given a permit. But they are saying it has to be pervious concrete plus she doesn’t want to wait any longer to get moved on.

Plus there are lots of non-Folly people who now live on Folly who ride around and think they are building inspectors and tell everyone what they should and should not be doing.

SeaPro 220CC

was the new ordinance in effect when the permit was issued?- if so- the contractor is at fault- if it was not in effect, call a lawyer.
Folly’s building inspector can be very heavy handed- he wants to be the BIG DOG

quote:
Originally posted by Dockman
quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

SeaPro 220CC

was the new ordinance in effect when the permit was issued?- if so- the contractor is at fault- if it was not in effect, call a lawyer.
Folly’s building inspector can be very heavy handed- he wants to be the BIG DOG

Good advice. Check what was called out or shown on the original approved plans.

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-HT Bugbuster

The company I work for does pavers, which is a previous concrete surface. It is about twice the cost of poured concrete. In my my opion it looks a lot better as well. Shoot me a pm if she needs a quote.

She has/had the permit for a concrete driveway before the ordinance went into effect and feels like she has a case. BUT she doesn’t want to drag it out any longer. Has been building the house for close to a year and is ready to move into her beach house!

SeaPro 220CC