Picts from the Yak

After 3 days of nearshore fishing in the Bayliner, my wife and I took our yaks down to Limehouse to try and find a few sharks teeth on the spoil islands a mile of so down the Stono. Of course, I always carry a camera (in a zip lock bag) and a fishing pole to try and catch some of those Stono reds and trout.
We had paddled a few hundred yards down the river and I rigged up my line and tossed it out to trail behind while paddling. My first ‘mistake’ :frowning_face: came when I left my Scottie rod holder on the Bayliner and had to sit the rod on my lap while paddling. My second ‘mistake’ :roll_eyes: was to misjudge how heavy and tall our cooler was that was in the back of my yak. On my first stroke, I tapped the fishing pole just enough to cause it to drop into the water. I leaned and reached and realized too late… too far! [:0]. Over I went but had enough presence of mind to ‘roll’ out and not flip the yak. The cell phone, digital camera and wallet were water proof in a baggie and were safe but I did lose my pole and watch which apparently doesn’t like salt water. My wife said only one thing as I pulled my embarASSed butt back into the yak… “hehehehe… glad it wasn’t me hehehehe”
Here are a few picts of the adventure and sharks teeth we found.
http://sweetbreeze.com/july06yak.htm
Oh and by the way… the water is nice and warm in the Stono… :smiley:

saltykayak

A true warrior does not fight because he hates what is in front of him,
a true warrior fights because he loves what is behind him.

Those are good pictures SK - that was quick thinking to just roll out! Where is Limehouse? I haven’t done any paddling in the Stono.

Matt

Hi Matt,
Limehouse is down 17 as you are heading south out of Charleston. When you get to the light at “Main” road hang a left to go to Kiawah/Seabrook. Just over the bridge, you will turn left into the Limehouse boat access launch area. It is pretty modern and has a good dock. It is pretty easy to launch your yak from there and it is fairly safe and there is a ton of parking. I have seen the police there several times checking to make sure all boaters and yakkers have all their legal gear.
Since this was my first yakking adventure in the Charleston area (we were camped just up the road from Limehouse), It seems like a boring paddle unless you are on a mission like finding sharks teeth on the spoil islands. There are not many ‘branches’ off of the main channel in this area to explore or critters to take pictures of.

saltykayak

A true warrior does not fight because he hates what is in front of him,
a true warrior fights because he loves what is behind him.

Thanks for the information! I do most of my kayaking in the upper part of the Wando and some down on the Folly River. I will have to check out throwing in at Limehouse.

Matt

Myself and friend with son are going to check out your “spoil island” for shark teeth Tuesday morning, low tide.
I pulled up google earth and was wondering… leave landing, going Right and the 2 islands about a mile down river on the left bank? Is that it?
thanks