Pink Bird Id

I wasn’t able to get a picture, but has anyone seen any pink birds? When it first took off I could have sworn it was a flamingo. It was near the Cheehaw-Combahee plantation by the old train crossing up river from Fields Point. It was a lone bird and pink. About the size of a heron, I could not make out what kind of beak it had. This was a first for me and I wasn’t drinking.

Probably was a flamingo. I’ve seen a few around.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

More than likely a bird called a Roseate Spoonbill, they have been moving through the area. Spoonbill’s look more “heron-ish” than flamingo’s typically do.

https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/gallery/Lanoue/rosp_1.html

Little more checking and found a report from some birders of four roseate on Bear island on November 06, 2014. Anything is possible but if I was going to be a betting man…

If you get a chance to see them or take pics, they are a really cool bird.

I didn’t think of the spoonbill, but’s that’s very good possibility too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Saw some as I turned off 17 going to Cordrays the other day .
I agree with the Spoonbill . See lots at Ding Darling refuge in SW Fla

They showed up near my house a few weeks back. Spoonbills

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Cool, didn’t realize they got this far north.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

check today’s P&C, there’s an article on that very subject!!

I saw a ■■■■■ of about a dozen two weeks ago around St.Helena sound.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Thanks everyone! I’m about 98% sure it was a spoon bill. It’s neck and head lightened up like the above photo. There were a LOT of birds out that day, but only the one pink one. Nature’s pretty cool.

Saltfisher reported seeing them earlier this year. He sees them on a regular basis down near Kiawah

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
President, Summerville Saltwater Anglers

Saw a roeate spoonbill fly over hwy 17 at Wallace Creek below Redtop about a month back. Very obvious color and bill. Cool looking bird.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

I would also look at the pink Ibis. I saw a few of them the other day.

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

Saw a roeate spoonbill fly over hwy 17 at Wallace Creek below Redtop about a month back. Very obvious color and bill. Cool looking bird.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

That’s where I am. See them pretty regularly in the cooler months it seems.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by Knot Stressed Charters ll

I would also look at the pink Ibis. I saw a few of them the other day.

After talking to a friend working in that area, I am now certain it was a spoon bill.

I believe we have more white Ibis than pink in this area.

I’ve learned that Bird watching is some serious business!!

fred some people are religious about that stuff!! I saw one in the same place a couple times near IOP this summer. Had to google it and enjoyed the consternation of the newbie on board tryin to figure out what zoo the flamingo escaped from!