Pit Bulls

Man, I’ve never really thought you were that great of a debater, but man, you are struggling today!!! You are doing bad even for you!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/months-infant-mauling-dog-attack-mcgrew-home-article-1.1237732

A lady in our little office complex works with a pit rescue. The animals she gets are abused and very difficult animals. She works with them and associates them with people over time to build their confidence. She’s had some pretty rough cases that sooner or later find good homes to go to. We bring our dogs to the office often, my GSP female comes with me every morning and goes home at lunch. Three of her pits come in the afternoon and spend more time curled up at my feet or eating the leftover chews than they do in her office. I’ve never once had any aggressive action from any of them, if I did I’d put it down right in my office.

It’s a case by case basis, you can have a bad dog just like you can have a bad person. Lumping all pits into one basket isn’t fair, just like saying all indians are drunk because you saw one drinking or blacks are all criminals because one robbed you or whites are all meth-heads because you had one at work.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by bonecrusher

I don’t believe the whole “It’s the owner that makes the dog vicious” argument. These dogs have been bred over generations to fight, be vicious, etc. It’s the same with labs or retrievers when it comes to jumping off the dock or the willingness to retrieve. They somehow just ‘take to the water’, similar to how a pit ‘takes to fighting’.

I think this is a good example…and would tend to agree with this evolution…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

A lady in our little office complex works with a pit rescue. The animals she gets are abused and very difficult animals. She works with them and associates them with people over time to build their confidence. She’s had some pretty rough cases that sooner or later find good homes to go to. We bring our dogs to the office often, my GSP female comes with me every morning and goes home at lunch. Three of her pits come in the afternoon and spend more time curled up at my feet or eating the leftover chews than they do in her office. I’ve never once had any aggressive action from any of them, if I did I’d put it down right in my office.

It’s a case by case basis, you can have a bad dog just like you can have a bad person. Lumping all pits into one basket isn’t fair, just like saying all indians are drunk because you saw one drinking or blacks are all criminals because one robbed you or whites are all meth-heads because you had one at work.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Not all drunk drivers get into wrecks either. But for some reason drinking and driving is illegal. I would say that MOST drunk drivers do not get into wrecks. So why single them out? I know people who have driven hundreds of times drunk and never had an issue...

This painful to read.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

It’s a tough argument, because I do know several pit bulls that are incredibly sweet dogs. I just don’t understand the attraction that some people have to them. Every dog pretty much returns to it’s natural instincts when not trained properly. I think the overall viciousness of pit bulls has been exacerbated by the dumbasses that keep them, due to the fact that the breed itself IS more prone to violence when not trained.

In short, I think you should need a license to have any large dog, not just a pit bull. Would be way more gangsta if a bunch of thugs were sitting around with Yorkie-Poos in the hood.

What the hell

why dont we label them “assault” dogs

This is what I posted last time you got into this drivel. Still accurate:

Who would want to live next to such vicious and hideous creatures? Looks like he has this crowd of helpless kids all lined up as a buffet… lord help us all if petey gets loose in your neighborhood.

these kids are sad because there used to be 3 little rascals in this photo but petey already ate 1

quote:
Thanks for giving proof that you were wrong. This clearly says "general characteristics of dogs and owners may be a factor at population level". That's EXACTLY the argument. Nobody every said, "ALL PIT BULLS ARE EVIL". We are pointing out issues at the "population level". Thanks for clearing that up for YOURSELF!!!

Read the rest of the sentence skinee, it would be inappropriate to make assumptions about an individual animal’s risk of aggression to people based on characteristics such as breed.

quote:
This goes the OPPOSITE of what you said earlier. Look at your defintions. You clearly said they were BRED to be more aggressive. Do you not understand that breeding a trait is giving them an "inherent" predisposed characteristic? Wow, are you trying to win this argument for me? You are doing a great job contradicting yourself...

Any dog can be breed to accentuate any trait. People that fight dogs are purposely trying to accentuate aggression. It is irresponsible. That is the problem, its not the dogs nature to be overly aggressive. As I stated earlier, even though they were bred to fight bulls, then other dogs, aggression towards humans had been “bred out”. Irresponsible breeding practices and inbreeding has caused problems for the breed, no doubt. The 130lb pit bull that killed the girl in Ga last month was caused by improper inbreeding and possible steroids. No pit should weight 130lbs. They should be 50lbs at the max! The owners had a dog bred to be larger and more aggressive and unfortunately their daughter paid a horrific price.

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote
quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

This is what I posted last time you got into this drivel. Still accurate:

Who would want to live next to such vicious and hideous creatures? Looks like he has this crowd of helpless kids all lined up as a buffet… lord help us all if petey gets loose in your neighborhood.

these kids are sad because there used to be 3 little rascals in this photo but petey already ate 1

I saw a man hug a lion once. It was really sweet and licked his face. I guess that means that we should all run out and hug lions... Think about your logic. You found 1 pit bull that is sweet and you are using this to support that all pit bulls are sweet? Again, I can find thousands of drunk drivers that have never killed anyone. Does that imply that all drunk drivers are "good"?

OFM, you still didn’t answer my question… WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN? WHY DO DOG FIGHTERS CHOOSE PIT BULLS TO TRAIN?

Look. It’s a no brainer. If you want a duck dog, you choose a labrador, not a pit bull. If you want to be a dog fighter, you choose a pit bull, not a labrador. I don’t give a **** how much training and engineering you do… Your lab isn’t going to win the championship. WHY???

quote:
In short, I think you should need a license to have any large dog, not just a pit bull.

I do hope you are kidding. I’m sure buying a license would change the disposition of a dog or an owner :question:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

What the hell

why dont we label them “assault” dogs

They are labeled as assault dogs. They don't require an operator. They actually do have a mind of their own and can prowl the streets looking for a victim. It's been documented many times.

Do me a favor… Go to google and type in “pit bull” and then hit the images button… Look at those pictures… They fall into these categories:

1. A pit bull with a muzzle on
  2. A human victim of a pit bull
  3. An animal victim of a pit bull
  4. A picture of a pit bull supporter posing their pit bull with ducklings, bunnies, kitties and babies trying to convince the general public that they are America’s sweetest dog…
  5. An abused and emaciated dog who was left to die by a pit bull owner.

Now, do the same for labradors…

Thanks for playing…

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

It’s a tough argument, because I do know several pit bulls that are incredibly sweet dogs. I just don’t understand the attraction that some people have to them. Every dog pretty much returns to it’s natural instincts when not trained properly. I think the overall viciousness of pit bulls has been exacerbated by the dumbasses that keep them, due to the fact that the breed itself IS more prone to violence when not trained.

100% truth
quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
In short, I think you should need a license to have any large dog, not just a pit bull.

I do hope you are kidding. I’m sure buying a license would change the disposition of a dog or an owner :question:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

If you had to purchase a license that required you to show you’re a responsible, knowledgeable dog owner, it would absolutely change the disposition of a dog owner.

That being said, I’m not serious because it’s a stupid argument and was more used as a way to set up my thugs with yorkie poos visualization.

PIT BULL OWNER LOGIC 101

“I found a picture on the internet of a pit bull licking a kitty’s face. This implies that NO pit bulls are aggressive or vicious by natures and all pit bull’s love to lick kitties faces… If pit bull’s were aggressive\vicious by nature, it would have eaten the kitty. I think I will buy a pit bull. It should match my tattoo and .38 special to make me look tougher… Dog fighters do not choose pit bulls because they have a genetic predisposition to be good fighters. They choose them because they can’t afford a labrador retriever.”

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

If you had to purchase a license that required you to show you’re a responsible, knowledgeable dog owner, it would absolutely change the disposition of a dog owner.

That being said, I’m not serious because it’s a stupid argument and was more used as a way to set up my thugs with yorkie poos visualization.

As I mentioned earlier, pit bulls are illegal in Miami. The city is full of unregistered pit bulls. They are the #1 dog in the shelter that I visited.

I really have mixed emotions both ways, but am not for more laws and license.

quote:
Look. It's a no brainer. If you want a duck dog, you choose a labrador, not a pit bull. If you want to be a dog fighter, you choose a pit bull, not a labrador.

True, but many people own retrievers that have never retrieved a duck, and probably never will. Many people own pits who have never been in a fight and probably never will.

I have a duck dog, technically a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, and he’s a real killer :smiley: Sort of a miniature Golden. Can’t make him mad if you try. Had him 2 years and never once even heard him growl :smiley: My brother has a pit and those 2 dogs will play together all day long, many days, without incident. My brothers pit probably minds better than my retriever does. No doubt the pit could kill him in an instant if it wanted to, but he doesn’t and I trust him not to.

Outlawing big mean looking dogs is like outlawing big mean looking guys. Just because you have the potential to kill doesn’t mean you will.

Capt. Larry Teuton

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

Mark

this is the perfect example of the “my dog would never hurt a flea, it’s never shown aggression, it’s never even snarled”…and than all the sudden, the next day it’s in the newspaper for ripping the face off a 4 yr old.
These are bad dogs…period. Not worth the risk when you can get plenty of tough dogs for protection or whatever reason a non-thug would get a pitbull, without the risk of something tragic happening.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau