Portable generator set up question.

Hey;

We picked up a small, cheap generator last year, its a Champion 46596, 4k starting watts, 3500 running watts.
Plan at some point is to have a system we can switch over in the event of a power loss, but in the meantime I’m trying to figure out how i should set this up.

Do i simply run an extension cord up to the house and plug in appliances or should I use one of the 120v receptacles?

thanks

My mother-in-law requires oxygen 24/7 so I bought my in-laws a generator slightly larger than the one you described so they can continue to run her oxygen machine and certain appliances and lights in their house if the power ever goes out. Since buying the generator, they have lost power once (for two days). We simply ran extension cords with multiple splitters throughout the house and it worked fine. I’m sure there was a better way to do it but this worked for the two days we needed it.

God bless the “ignore” function.

I just run an extension cord! There are only a couple of things you need to power! The Fridg/coffee pot/a light! Get a splitter and you got it! If you need AC, get a window unit and only have it in 1 room! Learn to do without, you’ll be surprised at how little you need! Oh, I’ve been meaning to get an electric frying pan! Get one with a big domed lid and go to cooking:smiley:

Thanks a lot guys.
So, does it matter if you start the gen first and then plug in or vice versa?

Also, if I have the fridge going, coffee pot could i also run a tv?

and, sorry, last q, we are on propane, have a rinaii tankless hit water system, would that still run when electric is out?

thanks a lot

I run the gen and plug in and unplug the stuff I need at the time so as to not overload the gen! You don’t have to run the frig when you are using the frying pan! When you’re done cooking, plug the frige back in! You get it, the stuff in the frig won’t go bad while you fry your eggs:wink: Plus, you don’t have cords running all over the place! Use 1 and switch it around as needed. When it’s time to go to bed at night, just have the frig plugged in. In Your Mother-In- Laws case, just the Oxy System!

I have a 17kw genset and it has an outlet outside that I plug a cord from the genset into. Then it powers my breaker box BUT I used an interlock switch.

http://www.interlockkit.com

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

I have a 17kw genset and it has an outlet outside that I plug a cord from the genset into. Then it powers my breaker box BUT I used an interlock switch.

SeaPro 220CC

Have the same setup, not wise to run so many cords, the wrong one will damage the appliances,or set something on fire. Not to mention a door or window has to be opened to allow room for the cord, not good if really cold/hot.

The op’s last question…the tankless heater, is it 240V,or 110V?

Just remember that the gen has a gas motor on it that produces carbon dioxide! Keep it out of the house or garage to be safe.

First word of advice… Do not hook up to the breaker box unless done by a professional!!! You have to stop your power from going back to the power pole. The transformers don’t care what direction the power comes from. Once it hits that transformer on the pole your sending 30g bolts down the line. Not good for unexpecting power line workers. Fries them instantly!! Second would be carbon monoxide poison. Happened to a friends dad. He had the generator on the other side of the house but garage door was open. Luckily someone went to check on him. He was passed out in the sun room.

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

SeaPro 220CC

Have the same setup, not wise to run so many cords, the wrong one will damage the appliances,or set something on fire. Not to mention a door or window has to be opened to allow room for the cord, not good if really cold/hot.

The op’s last question…the tankless heater, is it 240V,or 110V?
Hello

It’s 120v

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Just remember that the gen has a gas motor on it that produces carbon dioxide! Keep it out of the house or garage to be safe.

Monoxide…Dioxide…too much of either isn’t good. :smiley:

God bless the “ignore” function.

I have a 220 wire set up that plugs into my generator. You can make it using some romex and 220 plugs for a clothes dryer. One end to the generator. One end to the dryer outlet. Cut the main breaker going to the street and viola…I can power everything I need.

During Matthew we lost power for about 4 days. Still had cable and internet. Only turned on lights when needed. Worked perfect. Didn’t run a single extension cord.

Narcosis

DO NOT PLUG A GENERATOR INTO THE HOUSE UNTIL THE MAIN BREAKER IS IN THE OPEN POSITION ! ! ! ! ! !

You will back feed and KILL PEOPLE ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I will be happy to go over your set up or help you create one. I am a master electrician with 30 years, please feel free to contact me.

Just so I understand…if I connect a generator to an outside receptacle to power the house, then I should put the main breaker in the OFF position. Is this correct? I’ve never had a generator but I knew about the male-male cord to power the house. I don’t want to hurt anyone if I do get a generator though.

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

DO NOT PLUG A GENERATOR INTO THE HOUSE UNTIL THE MAIN BREAKER IS IN THE OPEN POSITION ! ! ! ! ! !

You will back feed and KILL PEOPLE ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I will be happy to go over your set up or help you create one. I am a master electrician with 30 years, please feel free to contact me.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Don’t take any advice from Bonzo…whatever you do.

Turn main breaker offf. What we’re trying to do is stop the power from your generator from going back to the power pole. The transformer on the pole jumps the power up and sends it down the line. Not good for workers. Cooks them.

Hooking the gen lead to a receptical will only power 1/2 of your box ( one leg! ) pushing that much power thru a 12 guage wire could cause a fire! The ideal way to use a generator is to install a small box beside you main box and wire in it the esentials and power it from a 2 pole breaker in the main box that you can turn off. Then have a 240 power cord wire to the main in the aux box that plugs to the high side of the gennie!

Forgot to mention I use my portable welder as the power source on my my house.