Portable Gun Rest??

I have a few long guns I need to sight in and would like to get a portable rest for them. In looking at them, I see basically 2 types, the “hard” type like the Caldwell Steady Rest and then many “soft” bag type you fill with something. I just need something to set on a tabletop that I can rest the guns on to sight in.

Suggestions, recommendations, personal experiences?

Thank

Everyone has a different method and setup, but in my opinion, a rest with a clamp or strap to stabilize the gun is ideal, and a weighted lead sled works best for me.

But in all honesty, it depends on how you sight in your rifle. Some people shoot, adjust, shoot, adjust, etc until it’s close. For me, I shoot once, zero, shoot second time to verify and you’re done…and to do this you need a rock solid rest.

Step 1) clamp rifle down - it’s important it doesn’t move AT ALL
Step 2) bore sight - using laser or remove bolt and look down the barrel placing aim at the bullseye then track the scope to match bullseye. This will always get first shot “on paper”
step 3) fire 1 shot at bullseye
step 4) while aiming at bullseye, adjust scope to track the reticle to the POI of the first shot
step 5) fire another shot to verify

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I’ve used several different “hard type” rests but always go back to bags. I don’t believe there’s any one “best” rest out there. The “best” one is the one that does what you want it to do, they way you want it to do it.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Thanks, sighting in a couple of new red dots so it isn’t like I’m setting up for competition or anything.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I have one of these from Field and Stream that I use. Its portable and lightweight; you’d think that was a good thing. I have to place it on a steady surface and then add bags to it to ensure it doesn’t jump. There’s really no good way to do this…or rather…there’s a bunch of different ways to get it sighted in properly.

It wasn’t terribly expensive, but its certainly not as heavy duty as I would like.

https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/caldwell-7-rest-gun-rest-15bteu7rstxxxxxxxtgs/15bteu7rstxxxxxxxtgs?uniqueID=669857

If I were you, I’d get a heavy duty one and just deal with lugging that thing around instead of going cheaper like I did. Leandewah is usually right about most things. :smiley:

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I have these… https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/caldwell-deadshot-front-and-rear-shooting-bags-15bteuddshtbgfrnttgs/15bteuddshtbgfrnttgs?uniqueID=674060

Plus I have a couple of smaller sand bags I bring as well for coarse adjustments.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Last year when i sighted in my 270 I used a 50 lb. bag of dear corn! on my picnic table and a round bale of hay at 100 yds

Thanks folks!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Front bench rest and a leather rabbit ear bag filled with lead shot is what I use.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne