Possibly the best gyro in the world

Yes I know a bold statement. There is a small mom and pop restaurant located in Mt Pleasant on Coleman Blvd called Papa ZuZu’s. Its on the same side of the road just past Andolinies Pizza. I’m a sucker for a good gyro and they serve the best one I have ever had, by FAR. Its killer and anyone who says different is DEAD wrong. Normally I wouldnt post such a silly thing, but here me out. I have no affiliation with the restaurant or anyone who works there whatsoever. I occasionally go there with my mom and one day this old hippie guy was making the rounds checking on the customers in the dining room, clearly the owner. When he came by our table I just had to tell him how great the gyro was. At that point his eyes lit up and he explained the passion and extent which he goes through to produce such a sandwich, he is a master of his craft. He eagerly explained that he imported his calamata olives from calmata Greece, because they are the best. He gets a particular olive oil from there as well.He goes to the produce market several times a week and hand picks his tomatoes personally and continues to ripen them on shelves on a rack in the window of the restaurant, proudly on display. Then he told me that his fetta and Greek yogert are from a small farmer in Canada that has special goats that were imported from Greece and they have the best around. He then went on and told us that hes been offered a substantial amount of money to franchise his operation but declined. After all who would hand pick the tomatoes out, no one. I think at this day in age the all mighty dollar is the first priority in just about everything. It was so refreshing to see someone so passionate about what they were doing and to not sell out to the big box boys, wow what dedication and commitment, and what a nice guy . If you happen to be rolling down Coleman ,and find your tummy a rumbling, and want the best gyro in the word stop by PaPa ZuZu’s and slam you a gyro. Go big, dont pick the girly one ,and get you a side of taziki sauce you will need it,

Papa zuzus is good stuff! They have the best hummus in Charleston,imo. All their food is good, I’m partial to the chicken Caesar in a pita. You know you’re in a good spot when you see then rippening the tomatoes in the front window!

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Good to know. We’re always looking for good, inexpensive eats when we come down to see our son. Penny made us all fans of Smokey Oaks over on JI.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Yes sir, I’m going to have to try some of the other stuff, I’m just so hooked on that gyro havent ordered anything else except the baba ghanoush- creamy eggplant dip, I have had the gyro many times and its always the same, excellent, the owner has tons of passion and thats worth noting , Ive also had a plate of fetta, olives and peppers as an appetizer, but theres really no need ,the large gyro is a glorious beast and is a challenge to tackle by itself. They also sell the tomatoes off the rack, yum,yum,yum, :smiley:. I think I need to call mom, its time to go bust a gyro! Get the large one its well worth your effort.

I agree,have had them several times over the years.I avoid them for lunch during the week,as I want to find a place to nap after Im done eating.

The only resturant that can ever come close was Lunna Rosa,and PaPa ZuZu would blow them away today.

For the Columbia folks…the Mediterranean tea room on Devine st is off the chart good! Favorite restaurant, I go thru withdrawals if it’s been more than a week. I will happily drive from Charleston to Columbia to eat there.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Try the traditional gyro pizza, then get back to me. I’m a big eater and it covers me for lunch and dinner. $10

Yea I have heard the gyro pizza is killer as well I need to try that, but I will repeat the service can be slow, I have had a long wait several times and now I call ahead and pick food up if I’m not willing to wait and get it to go, and the lady up front is a bit crabby but I’m willing to suck it up for the killer gyro, dont expect to get in and out quick, it can happen but usually doesn’t. If you go in at peak time be prepared to wait and take it for what it is no frills ambiance , simple fresh delicious food. I cant vouch for everything on the menu but the large gyro, side of pasta salad, side of tsaziki cant be beat and is worth the wait.

I looked at the menu pictures online and the items look great! :stuck_out_tongue:

Had to hit it up today on the way to Sullivan’s.

pix look great

Luna Rosa was nasty

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

Oh my, that’s good lookin groceries.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

pix look great

Luna Rosa was nasty

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

Pffft,they had the best gyros and calzones in town.You just didn't like the owner.

Anyone know of a good spot for Done Kebabs in charleston? I ate my weight of them when I visited Europe a few years back and have been dreaming of them since… I did find one doner kebab shop in Peru last year but th ey were closed everytime I tried to go!

quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

Anyone know of a good spot for Done Kebabs in charleston? I ate my weight of them when I visited Europe a few years back and have been dreaming of them since… I did find one doner kebab shop in Peru last year but th ey were closed everytime I tried to go!

I’m a doner fan as well. I’ve had them all over the world. Best ever was in Germany, second best in Paris right across the street from our little hotel.

Mexico has a version of them, they call them Tacos Arabes though and the meat is a little more on the Mexican side.

I’ve never seen an official one cut from the spit in SC.

BG

It’s good, no doubt. They make their babaganoush (sp?) fresh.

It’s a “gun free zone” though, for some reason, which means if you CC you need to disarm to lawfully enter.

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

Rap, you have me at a disadvantage. What are they? My favorite European (English) dish is fish and chips served on a news paper.