Power pole vs. Trolling motor

Hey, I have a 18-19 ft bay boat with a 115 Suzuki four stroke and would like to do more shallow water fishing. Would it be more advantageous to have a power pole or trolling motor. Ideally I would like to have both, but if you had to chose one to start out with, which would it be. Thanks for any advice.

No doubt for me, an i-Pilot.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

I would say the trolling motor. You could always use a stick it for a cheap shallow water anchor substitute. Not may ways to substitute a trolling motor unless you enjoy paddling. :smiley:

1900 Tidewater Bay Max 115 Yamaha

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

So the Ipilot is sort of like having both with that spot lock technology. That might be a winner

If you get the i-Pilot, pay the extra and get the Ulterra. The auto stow and deploy feature by itself is worth the “price of admission” to me.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

iPilot…unless you can buy 2 powerpoles. 1 by itself isn’t really as awesome as you’d think, but twins…PERFECT.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Also take a look at Motorquide Xi5.

He must Increase,but I must decrease. John 3:30

Trolling motor is essential. My next one will be the Motorguide Xi5

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

First, figure out what your fishing grounds supports. Just because you want to fish a flat does not mean the fish will be there. Find them and develop your patterns. This will tell you what equipment you will need. Why get power poles if the fish are not shallow? Why get a trolling motor if you anchor up and fish specific spots?

Once you have it figured out…

Live Bait or Artificial?
Do you run to a spot and anchor or want to quietly move around or work an area. Drift a flat or work along a bank?

For example,
Throwing artificials in tight shallow creeks.
Think Bass tournament style. Standing on the bow casting.
A hand/foot control trolling motor is essential. Your holding the rod the whole time so running a trolling motor with remote is not ideal. Also the GPS trolling motors are not accurate enough to bump you 6 inches here, 2 inches there, avoid that clump of grass, adjust for current on inside bend, adjust for current on outside bend. Adjust for wind pushing you, etc. You would constantly be adjusting the trolling motor with remote in your hand and have no time to cast.

Anchoring is not that critical as you can just push the rear of the boat into the bank or lower the skeg or run the trolling motor aground (forward anchoring deployed).

In this example I would take a good hand/foot controlled trolling motor or cheaper hand/foot control trolling motor and a single power pole vs a GPS trolling motor (assuming about the same price).

Another example:
Throwing artificials on open flats.
GPS trolling motor all the way. No need to constantly adjust as you can be a few feet off and not hit stuff. You can set a track/contour for it to follow and work your way through the flat.

Anchoring again is not a priority as you can drop a normal anchor and there is room for swinging. Boat control is not as critical as fishing in a small creek.

Example 3
Shallow Spot fishing with Livebait.
Drive to a spot and anchor.
Anchoring is your priority, accurately anchoring makes it even better.
Dual 8ft

No brainer for me. I-Pilot and a stick-it pin.

I have both and my will use the stick-it as much as possible, but go to the IP if too deep for the stick-it.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki