Prayers for burn victims

Just heard the news report from Ocean Isle… Two fishermen burned from fuel spill of sorts causing explosion and fire…One of victims is son of one of my wifes co-workers in Charlotte… No other details, prayers for their speedy recovery…

http://www.wect.com/story/35577700/three-injured-in-ocean-isle-beach-boat-explosion

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/coastal/news/2017/06/2/boat-explosion-at-ocean-isle-beach-causes-multiple-injures-.html

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/06/02/ocean-isle-beach-boat-explosion/

hope these folks recover from the burns

suspect that Seatow will be writing a nice check for this one

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

Pioneer 197SF

Why would SeaTow be writing a check?

These guys pumped at least 28 gallons of gas into a fishing rod holder instead of their gas tank.

The SeaTow guy was correct in telling them to disconnect their batteries, unfortunately it sparked.

It’s sad these guys were burned, but the SeaTow guy didn’t fill their bilge with gasoline…they did. They inadvertently made their boat into a bomb, apparently they had no clue what they were doing. They are solely responsible.

Wonder what the odds are that they just bought the boat?

quote:
Originally posted by pitcher
quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

Pioneer 197SF

Why would SeaTow be writing a check?

These guys pumped at least 28 gallons of gas into a fishing rod holder instead of their gas tank.

The SeaTow guy was correct in telling them to disconnect their batteries, unfortunately it sparked.

It’s sad these guys were burned, but the SeaTow guy didn’t fill their bilge with gasoline…they did. They inadvertently made their boat into a bomb, apparently they had no clue what they were doing. They are solely responsible.

Wonder what the odds are that they just bought the boat?

I absolutely agree with what you said about responsibility. Unfortunately for all of us there are lawyers that love these accidents. For years the most popular small private airplane has been the Cessna 182. They shut down production for years because of lawsuits. When they restarted production the price jumped way up and I’ve heard that 50+% of the price is for liability insurance. Anyone can buy a plane or a boat without proof of competency.

Why disconnect the battery? That is the last thing I would do. It’s almost guaranteed to spark. And that’s exactly what the lawyer will say in court. Lawyer, “SeaTow presented themselves as the “expert” and ultimately caused the explosion by advising the (idiots) defendants on what to do.”

And thinking about this a little more, the boat manufacturer will also be named. Lawyer, "The poor design contributed to the accident. It was foreseeab

Hate it for everyone involved. Some of us make very bad decisions and learn from it without too many terrible consequences. I hope everyone walks away from this in good shape.

In the spirit of information, what would be the correct move here? I ran into a similar problem 70 miles offshore one day, had an issue with a fuel/water separator that dumped a large amount of fuel into the bilge. I killed the engines, pinned the float switch down with a towel and some lead and then took a 5 gallon bucket and dumped saltwater into the bilge to dilute the fuel while leaving the hatch open to let fumes dissipate. No clue what the hell I was doing, just all seemed like a good idea at the time. I’d welcome all opinions on this one. Fuel in the bilge at the dock and offshore…

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

One of the worse designs ever is putting the battery cutoff switches in the bilge. They should be in their own compartment or at least under the console and away from anywhere vapors could accumulate. That, and batteries below the waterline. If you are in an emergency and your hull fills with saltwater, the batteries will be under water and soon be no good. Without battery power and way offshore is a bad way to be.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Had a buddy pump 100 gal,into a rod holder while on a trailer at the Esso station. The auto pump picked it up and started dumping it in the parking lot. I grabbed a 5 gal bucket and caught it jumped in the boat and cut the ground wire on the pump. screwed the plug in and went to my house and drained it in 5 gal buckets and emptyed it into 55 gal drums, washed out boat well with water and went and refilled gas tank and went fishing! Good day after that!