Preferred Methods

I have downriggers, I have x-rap 30’a, stretch 25’s, etc. never targeted them but when they show up I’d like to be able to come down from Lake Murray and enjoy a day trying. Used to catch them on Stretch 25’s out of Destin/Pensacola as a kid. Just wondering with the gear I have, which would be the preferable method and area to fish? Thanks.

Mike Martinez

"Team Hookers Dream”

2017 Robalo R302 twin 300 yams “Roballin”

A typical offshore ballyhoo rigged with wire is the preferred method if trolling, otherwise live baiting menhaden and slow trolling. The sight of the kings jumping out of the water 15 feet to attack your rigs is a sight you never forget. I used to always troll a plug like you describe as my dredge bait and it worked just fine all treble hooked to the face of the fish. I grew up in the 70’s as a kid on Okaloosa Island fishing out of Destin, lots of kings and hammerheads. I have the best luck out off Charleston finding king mackerel running Black Banks in 70-100 feet of water. Good luck.

Cappy
23 Regulator FS

stretches work as well… always drop two out for straggles and surprisingly enough they produce. Sabiki rigs over live bottom work well for bait. Good luck. patience is a virtue

05’ 22 McKee Craft Freedom
98’ 13 Boston Whaler Dauntless