Prepping the boat for the storm

Being new to the world of boat ownership, I was wondering if there was anything you guys recommend I do prior to leaving town if I were to have to leave the boat on the trailer in the back yard.

It’s full of gas to weight it down as much as possible, and it will be in my fenced in back yard. The trailer coupler is locked two different ways, and I also use a heavy gauge wire rope locked through the wheel and to the frame. So – assuming I have done what I can do to prevent theft, let’s talk about other things I might be missing.

Should I take off the boat cover to prevent the cover beating against the boat? Should I take the curtains off of the t-top to reduce the surface area for the wind to push against? I heard some people plug the boat and fill the hull with water or plug up the scuppers and fill the deck with water to add weight. This seems a little unsafe because I would think the rain could cause it to fill up beyond a point you would want it to be at.

Anyhow — any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Hauling it out and bringing it out of the path of the storm isn’t a feasible option. I have insurance, but I like this boat. I don’t want to see anything happen to her if I can help it.

UOD - Just my opinion but i would definately take any cover and any enclosures off to try to prevent any damage to them. I have heard all sides of the pros and cons about filling the boat up with water so I cannot really answer that. The only other thing is if your area might be subject to any high waters, bury your anchor in the yard and let some line out or tie the boat to something. Again just my opinion.

Victor
SAKATUMI TRAE
19’ SEA PRO CC // 150 HP YAMAHA

Remove cover and curtains, do not plug any drains because your trailer tires, springs etc. aren’t designed for that much weight.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Put the anchor out?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

quote:
Originally posted by traebaum

if your area might be subject to any high waters, bury your anchor in the yard and let some line out or tie the boat to something

Good idea, and scary thought at the same time. It’s hard to fathom water being high enough where it would warrant something like that, but it’s something that could definitely happen. I live in Charleston, and I am very close to the Ashley River.

Luckily, the track is looking to be more and more in our favor. But — I’ll still be taking some of the advice listed here. Thanks guys.

Pioneer 175 BaySport

quote:
Originally posted by uod
quote:
Originally posted by traebaum

if your area might be subject to any high waters, bury your anchor in the yard and let some line out or tie the boat to something

Good idea, and scary thought at the same time. It’s hard to fathom water being high enough where it would warrant something like that, but it’s something that could definitely happen. I live in Charleston, and I am very close to the Ashley River.

Did your home flood last year? Or did you move here after the flood?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017