Primer paint for lower unit??

I need to paint the lower unit of my Yamaha, and I’ve got a spray can of yamaha paint. I figure the most important thing you can help with is me picking a good primer to stick to the sanded metal and remaining good paint. I’d like to stay with spray cans since it’s a pretty small job and I’ve got the yamaha color already.
Any good primers out there that will do good on the motor and have a high build that I can sand between coats perhaps? After priming with a few coats I feel like regular automotive silver for a few thin coats, then the yamaha color, and then some clearcoat will do the job decently. I want to do it where it will last instead of just spraying the yamaha paint right on the bare metal.

Any suggestions from experience?

'88 Mako 211, 200 HPDI
Luke 8:22-25

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/27913-zinc-chromate-green-spray-primer-from-moeller.html

we use this all the time

Mike Crouch
Sea Tow Charleston
843-881-8949
Sea School Charleston
843-747-1000
www.seatow.com
www.seaschool.com

Phin, you need to create a project thread for your new ride with pictures and such for us to follow your progress. I am sure we could help you out with ideas and save you some money.

Behind this helm stands a sickness that not even a women can cure.

quote:
Originally posted by mike7653

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/27913-zinc-chromate-green-spray-primer-from-moeller.html

we use this all the time

Mike Crouch
Sea Tow Charleston
843-881-8949
Sea School Charleston
843-747-1000
www.seatow.com
www.seaschool.com

Thanks very much.

'88 Mako 211, 200 HPDI

quote:
Originally posted by Scoutin 4 Goodies

Phin, you need to create a project thread for your new ride with pictures and such for us to follow your progress. I am sure we could help you out with ideas and save you some money.

My camera died on a fishing trip long ago. Care to donate one of yours to the cause?

'88 Mako 211, 200 HPDI

quote:
Originally posted by Phin
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutin 4 Goodies

My camera died on a fishing trip long ago. Care to donate one of yours to the cause?

'88 Mako 211, 200 HPDI

I have an old one around here somewhere I can give you. I will trade you for a couple bottom spots.:wink:

I have used self etching aluminum primer from Auto Zone.

Hewes Redfisher 18, Suzuki DT140

I use a Zinc Chromate(sp?) primer for aluminum when I repair skegs.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069