Pro tip for the week (handheld electronics)

Use dielectric grease from auto-zone, napa, etc. to coat the battery compartment door, headphone plug hole, charger plug holes, etc. on handheld electronics like a SPOT messenger, handheld GPS, cell phones, cameras, VHF’s, etc.
Even if they are water proof or water resistant, putting a thin layer of this grease will displace moisture and add to the O ring or rubber sealing of these areas to give your equipment much longer life around saltwater and humidity.

I’ve done it for several years with all my handheld stuff as well as trailer light connectors, GPS and sonar connector plugs, etc.

Can’t beat it. Holds corrosion down and keeps electrical contacts good. (and it holds up well- it’s grease)

www.JoinRFA.org
Luke 8:22-25

thanks. i have done the same on trolling motor plugs and others but have not done so on others. dielectric grease is an insulator so every now and then a connection may be insulated on some of the plug ins that have been coated.

jan

will the boeshield t9 do the same thing?

i’m tired of buying more stuff for every little need.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

will the boeshield t9 do the same thing?

i’m tired of buying more stuff for every little need.

It is more of a metal protectant I believe. The dielectric grease works great to displace moisture around rubber and electrical connections that have disimilar metals and are especially prone to corrosion.

I little pack of this stuff is on the counters of parts houses for like 99 cents.

www.JoinRFA.org
Luke 8:22-25

Also known as “No-Ox” or “NOALOX”, anti-oxidant joint compound.

2002 Key West 1720 CC
90 Yamaha 2-Stroke

will it interfere with the electrical connection?
I read on THT a while back, that mercury had issues with there wiring harnesses because the dielectric grease was interfereing with the connections

hey thank phin; i have not given that much thought buy have the grease so might as well use it. thanks again

Yes, too much grease can prohibit a good connection. Only a light coating is needed.

Iain Pelto
Edgewater 185CC “Jumpin’ Bean II”
Native Manta Ray 14

quote:
Originally posted by squiddy77

will it interfere with the electrical connection?
I read on THT a while back, that mercury had issues with there wiring harnesses because the dielectric grease was interfereing with the connections

Cat put out a service letter a few years back to quit using die-electric grease do to some of the pulse width modulated solenoids were not getting a good enough signal… Ford & G.M. still use it. Usually only have an issue if it is a loose conection. We still use it if equipment is working near water especially salt water. I do like Phin and have it packed in my trailer light connectors.

I think that is a great idea on using it on hand held equipment. Any butt spices or terminal ends on my boat have it on them. Navigation light sockets are full of it and I have never had a problem with them working.

When i got my garmin unit, i called them about corrision protection. the dielectric is exactly what they recomended

www.flyfishingsc.com