Project Flatty

@Optiker You got skills!!

Been a while since an update, but work has been continuing…

Glassed in this cooler which can double as a release well if needed

Fairing progress pics…


And Painted… Alexseal (local company) is an amazing product

Mock up of upper deck

Starting to add hardware

Big milestone day… Before…

And after…30hp Tohatsu purchased from Cooper River Marine in Moncks Corner

Hatch openings cut. This is up to date… Today, in fact.


Looking great!

I’m betting you’re gonna love that Tohatsu. I’ve had a couple, and they are really great engines!

you’ve got skills man.

WOW, Dave that looks amazing! A work of art for sure. I love the look of that Tohatsu motor and have heard really good things about them, You’ll be slaying them soon.

Beautiful! You are gonna love that Tohatsu (T)!!! Did that T come with a SS prop? A mechanic told me you should not run SS on Ts as it affects the timing of the firing that was calibrated for the ECU module using an aluminum prop.

I love the troll feature on the Ts. I use it more than I thought I would…mainly in the winter to find trout hot spots quickly.

Dealer suggested the prop. IDK anything about the timing issue. I guess I’ll find out. Thanks for the heads-up

Wow. I’ve missed this entire story. Fantastic! Can’t wait to see a pic of you pulling in a big flatty or some other fish to Christen it! Got a name for her yet?

On the timing thing with Props, that’s a new one to me! The only issue I’ve heard is up to 40-60 HP the engine doesn’t have enough strength to flex an aluminum prop losing a little pitch. Also it’s easier on the lower unit to hit a oyster bed/ rock with an aluminum prop vs a stainless.

Name has been “Flatty” and will remain! Looking forward to the first fish. Currently working on the hatch gutters. It’s been a lot of work but they are turning out pretty well. Will make an update post in a little bit.

Some progress on the project.

Molds for hatch gutters

They turned out pretty good. I will have some fairing to do inside the gutters but not unexpected especially for my first attempt at these. I used almost a whole can of resin for these 3 pieces.

Dry fit

Bonded to cap, and added a rim around the inside well. Had to heat up the radius pieces to bend them.

Getting closer…

1 Like

Update on the project…

Underside of the cap primed 2x. That’s all it will get.

Added drains to the back of each rear hatch gutter. I did cut these off about half way as they were a bit too long. Still plenty enough to get a hose clamp on.

All hands on deck for bonding the deck. Gotta communicate and coordinate as the epoxy starts curing immediately. Thanks to Mrs. Fladd and BosnRay (behind the camera) for the help.

Some more bonding from the topside and made a platform for the trolling motor.

Boat builders tradition…

Cutting the topside glass. I did one layer of mat and one layer of 1708.

Starting to fair the gutters. Tedious!!

Here is where I’m at currently. Working on fairing the topside. This is pretty easy compared to everything else. Except the gutters. They are a PIA :slight_smile:

You might ask, why did you not glass both sides of the cap before adding it to the hull? Well, there is a slight curvature to the hull. When the core is glassed on one side its still remarkably floppy. So, by waiting until after, it then took the curvature. You’d think there’s no way it will end up strong enough. But once you glass the top side, holy crap, its strong as ■■■■!

1 Like

I know your chomping at the bit to get some fish slime on it.
Pretty work…

Masterful work Dave! Can’t wait to see the end result.

1 Like

Oh man that will be a good day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Outstanding sir! Even cooler when the better half gets involved too… Proud man you must be! The finished product is going to be incredible I’m sure. :muscle:


That’s a good woman!

Project is looking great Dave! Keep it coming. When you do think you’ll be “done?”

1 Like

Where did you buy the epoxy resin from?Clark Craft had a good price back when I built my first plywood sneak boat.And yeah,it’s crazy how fast that stuff cures in hot weather.

Hoping to have it done by mid August (fingers crossed). My first cousins are coming down for the end of August flood. They are both accomplished Spey anglers for Steelhead near Lake Ontario. They have never experienced a tailing tide. They also grew up on the lake in the same model and era Whaler as this so it would be cool if its done for them. It may be a stretch but I’m gonna try…

I’ve been using West Systems. It’s expensive for sure, but easy to work with and the results have been great. I’m using the 209 Extra Slow hardener.

My boat is in the water most of the tailing tides. Let me know if I can help out if you don’t get it finished up. I’ve been on the flats a few times…

1 Like