Project Flatty

Just saw this Ricky, that’s mighty generous of you. I’ll reach out well in advance if needed. Still working out the logistics. Thanks man.

Update on the project

Total Fair applied to entire deck

Lots of sanding…

Last major piece is to fabricate the hatch covers. My first attempt I just put the core up on a few 2x4s and let the glass hang off the sides. Didn’t turn out too well, so I made some forms.

Oh look! Ricky bought me a present :slight_smile: You shouldn’t have! J/k I wrapped the glassed hatch in plastic to try to keep the edges from “baconing”.

It sort of worked… Next time I’ll do this a different way. It’s not a problem, it’s just gonna cost me a lot of extra work with filling and fairing. This is after I trimmed, flipped and did the inside.

As of yesterday after some initial trimming and coarse sanding. Had to drop them in to get a look.

Still a lot of fairing to go on these, as it will be a lot like getting the gaps in a door right. Won’t be perfect but if its not pretty good it will drive me crazy.

Almost all my electronics are in. I’m going to pre drill all screw holes oversize and fill with epoxy then drill for screws. I think Cracker Larry would approve.

1 Like

I like bacon.

You gonna gig outta that thing or what?!

1 Like

10 years ago yesterday!

Wow, that was 10 years ago?? Man. That was a fun night. I enjoyed seeing what gigging is all about. I’m not a big proponent of gigging, so no, probably won’t be going in Flatty despite the name :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, Project Flatty is now just “Flatty”. 3.5 years of hard work, and so gratifying to finish up. I splashed her yesterday for a systems check - and good thing I did because I think i have a voltage regulator problem on the new motor. Working on resolving it with the dealer, so no fishing on it yet. Trolling motor circuit is perfect, I could probably waterski behind the trolling motor :slight_smile: Hope to post some first fish pics soon!

3 Likes

Beautiful Work!

Nice to see the finished product.

1 Like

Yessir! Outstanding. Could you post a couple more pics of the boat too?

What an accomplishment! I know that was a proud moment getting her in the water… the first fishes will be the icong on the cake. Well done :muscle: :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I’ll get more pics up soon. I’ve been working on getting the battery issues fixed. Sucks to have it finished and not able to use it yet!

Beautiful. Congrats Dave.

1 Like

Man, looks great Dave!

So, I was seeing some high voltages coming from the motor (15-17V). I am using a Dakota Lithium DL+ 60Ah starting/deep cycle battery. What I have learned is that the motor needs a load in order to regulate the voltage. When the lithium is fully charged it flakes out. I think the solution is just to make sure that battery is not topped off. I’m still working with it. I splashed it yesterday to test it and feeling fairly confident I decided to try to catch my first fish with it.

I’m really happy with it as a fishing platform. Exactly what I was hoping for. Turns out, the fish were biting really well! She’s still as fishy as she was when I last fished her. Ended up with a Margarita Slam :slight_smile:

Some more pics…

4 Likes

Absolutely love it! Great job!

Looks great! Thanks for the info on the high voltage issue with the T!

Looking really sharp Dave; job well done!

Thanks Ricky! Trying to decide if I should add a poling platform to it or just use a cooler. Definitely planning to add a push pole regardless

I bought a Smart Shunt for the battery so I will be better able to diagnose the problem. I’ll post any findings

I vote platform. Its safer and it’ll be more functional. Plus you can easily add your accessories that you’ll need/want. Pole holder at a minimum plus a beverage holder if your too kool for skewl.

I appreciate your input Ricky. Thanks man

Great Job.
Looks like she has a nice attitude sitting in the water. Kinda’ tricky to get/keep right when doing that much work to a small hull.